40

Tossing the black pocket knife in her hand, her blue eyes look around at everyone as they get their weapons ready

Tossing the black pocket knife in her hand, her blue eyes look around at everyone as they get their weapons ready. "Did ya' genuinely forget about that knife or-?" Daryl asks her and she looks up at him, sending him an innocent smile. "I knew I had it." She admits, flicking the knife out.

Twirling the blade in front her eyes, she abruptly stops, hearing a voice. "Put your backs on either side of the car now." A man's voice demands and the group forms a circle, standing in front of the door, weapons ready to attack. Footsteps sounds on the roof of the car and Scarlett looks up, the roof opening. Sunlight shines into her eyes and she feels herself being pulled down as something is thrown into the car.

Snuggling her head against Daryl's chest, she reaches up, covering his nose and mouth from the gas filling up the car. Daryl is pulled away from her and her hands reach out, trying to pull him back. She quickly retracts her hand back in, covering her nose and mouth, her eyes squinting through the smoke.

As the people leave the car, Scarlett climbs to her feet. "Who's all missing?" She asks, her voice bouncing off the sides of the car. "Rick, Bob, Daryl and G-Glenn." Maggie stutters and Scarlett pulls her into a hug, rubbing her back. "They took the fighters. They know what to do." Scarlett soothes, glancing at everyone else. "For now, continue working on your weapons." She calls out to everyone, turning her attention back to Maggie.

"You don't think Glenn will go down that easy, do you?" She asks, pulling away from the girl. Maggie shakes her head, her brown hair slapping her face. "He's a fighter." She convinces herself and Scarlett smiles, nodding.

Flicking the pocket knife close, Scarlett holds it in her hand, missing her mom's knife. A frown crosses Scarlett's face as she thinks about her mom, the woman who was brave enough to let the scientists test on her.

♢ ♢ ♢

Jumping to her feet and looking around, Scarlett furrows her eyebrows as gunshots sound. "What the hell is going on?" Abraham growls, hitting his fists on the door. Scarlett walks to the door, looking through the crack. "I don't see anything wrong." She mumbles, looking up.

"Someone hit them." Michonne concludes and Scarlett nods, agreeing with her. "Maybe our people got free." Sasha says, looking at Scarlett.

"If they did, we need to be ready. Because they'll be coming back for us." She tells them, pulling the pocket knife out of her back pocket. "Excuse me." Eugene says, pushing her out of the way. Scarlett raises her eyebrows slightly, catching her balance before she could fall. "What the hell are you doing?" Rosita snarls, looking down at the geeky man as he rubs something under the door. "I might be able to use this shell to compromise the door. From the sound of things, there may not be anybody left to open it."

Scarlett looks back at Tara, her lips parting. "Is he seriously doubting our group?" She questions, pointing back at him. Tara shrugs before looking back down at Eugene. "Eugene, I'm sorry, but shut up." Tara says, her voice shaking. Carl walks forward away from the corner. "Hey. My dad's gonna be back. They all are." Maggie nods, walking up behind Carl.

"Like Scarlett said, we need to get ready to fight our way out with them when they do." Scarlett smiles at her friend, happy that she isn't freaking out anymore. Scarlett kneels down, rubbing the knife against the floor of the car, sharpening it. Silence consumes the car, only the sound of makeshift weapons rubbing against things.

Silently listening to the gunshots and the snarls of walkers, Scarlett closes the knife, climbing to her feet. Reaching up and grabbing the two necklaces around her neck, Scarlett looks down at it, saying a quick prayer.

Letting he necklaces drop from her grasp, she looks up at Michonne, watching as she wraps some wood around the sword holder. "If you don't get your sword back, I'm going to be pissed for you." Scarlett speaks up, trying to lighten the mood. Michonne sends her a small smile before going back to her work.

Listening to the debate between Eugene and the others, Scarlett looks up as he explains what he did. "I was part of a 10-person team at the Human Genome Project to weaponize diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drink were had, relationships made, information shared. I am keenly aware of the all the details behind fail-safe delivery systems to kill every living person on this planet. I believe with a little tweaking on the terminals in DC, we can flip the script. Take out every last dead one of them. Fire with fire." Scarlett tilts her head, recognizing most of the words he had said.

"The Human Genome Project-your goal was to determine the sequence of nucleotide base pairs that make up human DNA, right?" Scarlett asks, memory of what she had learned from her dad and books coming back to her. "Correct. All things be equal, it does sound pretty badass." Eugene smirks before turning back towards the door. The door freaks and everyone looks at it, eyes full of hope.

The door slides open, showing Rick. "Come on! Fight to the fence!" The group runs out, weapons drawn. Flicking the pocket knife open, Scarlett takes front with Maggie and Abraham. She grabs a walker by its head, shoving the knife into it's eye before letting it crumble to the ground.

Doing that a few more times, the group makes it to the fence. Abraham grabs Scarlett's waist, hoisting her up on the fence, swinging her legs over, she jumps down. Sitting on the other side of the fence, she helps everyone down without any injury.

Once everyone is over, the group runs into the woods, making their way to where the bag is buried at. "The hell are we still around here for?" Abraham asks, walking up beside Scarlett. Rick shovels the dirt and straw up, looking up at him. "Guns, some supplies. Go along the fences. Use the rifles. Take the rest of 'em out." Rick answers, unzipping the bag. Scarlett shoves the pocket knife into her pocket before crossing her arms.

"What?" Bob asks in disbelief, walking forward. "They don't get to live." Rick replies, looking up at them. Glenn shakes his head, "Rick, we got out. It's over."

Rick pulls his Colt Python out of the bag. "It's not over till they're all dead." He says, checking the ammo. "Rick. It's over. That place-" Scarlett pauses, pointing back at it. "It's going up in flames and walkers are surrounding it." Rick looks at her, contemplating it. "I'm not dicking around with this crap. We just made it out." Abraham scoffs, staring him down.

"The fences are down, they'll run or die." Maggie tried to convince him even more. Scarlett watches as Carol walks up and Daryl notices her. Daryl runs up to Carol, picking her up and hugging her. Scarlett's heart clenches and she looks away from the interaction, looking down at her boots.

"You have to come with me." Carol tells everyone and they begin walking.

♢ ♢ ♢

Scarlett smiles sadly as she watches Rick and Carl reunite with Judith. Oh how she wishes she had her babygirl, she wishes so many things but her wishes never seem to come true.