52

Scarlett wanders around the community, looking down at her shoes

Scarlett wanders around the community, looking down at her shoes. Daryl had left with Aaron yesterday and still aren't back but Rick has gotten in a fight with Pete Anderson, the doctor.

Bumping into someone, Scarlett lets out a few words. "I'm sorry." She says and bends down, picking up the book the woman had dropped. "Here." Scarlett says, standing up straight and handing the book to the woman, her eyes trailing over the words. "You're a doctor?" Scarlett asks, letting go of the book and making eye contact with the woman. "Well-No. I had gone to med school to become a surgeon but I suffered through a lot of panic attacks so I just switched to psychiatry." The woman explains and Scarlett nods, her arms crossing over her chest.

"I went to college for two semesters to become a medical scientist. Deanna assigned me to help the doctor but I figured out he's a huge dick and now I need a new job." Scarlett chuckles before letting out a sigh. "I'm Scarlett." She introduces herself to the woman, brushing some of her hair out of her face. "Denise."

"Could you show me where the medical stuff is? I'd really like to see." Demise nods quickly before walking back in the direction she came from.

As the duo walks into the medicine room, Scarlett walks up to the rack, her eyes raking over all the medicine bottles. Picking a bottle up and examining it, she turns towards Denise, her eyebrows furrowed. "Y'all don't have any anxiety pills or anti-depressants?" She asks, sliding the bottle back into place.

"No one ever thought of getting those." Denise explains and Scarlett lets out a breath, her eyebrows raising slightly. "Ever since the outbreak, many people suffer through anxiety and depression." She informs her before looking back at the medicine. "Y'all are also running low on Aspirin and Morphine. Can you get me a map, paper and a pen?" Scarlett asks politely causing Denise to nod and rush out of the room, leaving Scarlett to examine everything.

As Denise rushes back in, Scarlett gently pulls the items out of her hands, laying them out on the table.

"Did anyone already check this pharmacy?" Scarlett asks, her finger pointed towards a spot on the map. "Aiden and Nicholas had checked everywhere in a 10 mile radius." Denise explains and Scarlett looks around the map before spotting a town a few ways away. "Alright." She mumbles, circling the town before turning towards the paper writing down medicines she feels they'll need.

Walking towards the gate and sliding her gun in her holster, Scarlett looks at Spencer, no emotion on her face. "Is there a car I could use?" She asks, avoiding eye contact with him and folding the piece of paper up. "Yeah, but I am the only one allowed to drive it. I can take you where you want."

Scarlett quickly shakes her head, tucking the paper in her pocket. "Not going to happen. Open the gate." She utters, rolling her eyes. "Come on, you'd much rather walk than be in a car with me." Scarlett looks at him as if he is stupid and he sighs. "Fine." He grunts before sliding open the gate, letting the persistent girl out. Scarlett walks out and without turning around, she flips Spencer off.

Trudging along on the side of the road, sweat drips down her face and she looks down at the map. A few more miles to go and she'll be there. Dropping her arm, she takes a deep breath, swallowing. I should've took Spencer's offer or at least brought someone with me.

Pushing her aching legs forward, she raises her eyes, looking up at the sky. It seems to be about 5:00pm, which leaves Scarlett 3 hours to get the stuff and make it back in time for the meeting. The sky doesn't have one cloud in it, indicating that it's not going to rain anytime soon, which can be good and bad.

A growl frightens her and she turn around, watching as a lone walker stumbles towards her. Pulling her knife out of its holster, she advances forward, shoving the knife up its neck, blood pouring out from it wound. Yanking the knife out of it's neck, she flick her hand, blood swinging off of it. Wiping her knife on the walker's ripped clothes, she pushes it back into the holster before beginning her journey.

Walking into the town, trying to be subtle, Scarlett rams into a trash can, a gasp escaping her lips. As she looks up, her eyes widen as a herd makes its way towards her. Muttering some curse words under her breath, she darts towards the pharmacy, pulling the bag higher up on her shoulder. Pushing open the doors, Scarlett slams them close before grabbing a nearby broom stick and jamming it through the door handles.

Scarlett closes the gate in front of the door, eyeing the walkers. A body bumps into her, pushing her forward and she lets out a yelp as her face slams into the wall before tumbling down the walker landing on top of her. As her cheek throbs, Scarlett holds the body back, struggling to reach down for her knife. Grabbing the walker's head, she slams it on the ground beside her, over and over. Pushing herself up to her feet, she raises her hand, wincing as she touches the throbbing cheek.

The walkers bang against the door, trying to get in to feast on their next meal. Walking towards the back of the pharmacy, cautiously, Scarlett keeps her eyes and ears alert. Pulling the bag off her shoulders and the paper out of her back pocket, she looks at the medicines in front of her, grabbing the ones she feels she needs and tossing them in her bag, filling it up quickly.

Looking back at the door, Scarlett notices the brook stick breaking and her heart beat picks up. Looking around for any source of escaping, she picks up her bag, throwing it over her shoulder. Running towards a room and opening the door, two walkers head her way and she pulls her knife out. Kicking one away, she pushes the other one against the wall, stabbing it in it's eye before rushing towards the one she kicked, repeating the action.

Her eyes light up as she thinks of an idea and she walks towards the small window, cutting a piece of curtain off. Wrapping and securing the curtain around her, she falls down to her knees by the walker and sticks her knife into its stomach, slicing down and exposing its guts and intestines.

Picking some of the guts and blood in her hand, she lets out a breath, smearing it all over the curtain and some on her face to mask her smell. Finishing up just in time to hear wood breaking, Scarlett climbs to her feet, stumbling out of the room and pretending to be a walker. As she walks past the herd, she watches as a few of them sniff the air, searching for her scent.

Letting out a breath, Scarlett makes it out of the store, unscathed. Now all she has to do is make it back to her family.

A gunshot rings through the air and Scarlett picks up her pace, running towards the gates. As she bangs on the tin, she turns around, watching as a few walkers stumble towards her. Pulling the curtain off, she throws it towards them, knocking them in their faces and they fall to the ground. She feels herself being pulled back in the community and she stumbles back into a chest, watching as the gates close.

Looking down at the arm around her waist, she pulls away from him, swinging around and narrowing her eyes. "Keep your hands off me." She snarls before looking towards her group. "Is everyone okay?" She asks, her eyes and voice softening. Her eyes meets Daryl and she could see the jealousy running through his blue eyes.

Looking away, Rick nods, clearing his throat. "Everyone is okay. Where'd you go?" He asks and she lets out a breath, pulling the bag off her shoulder. "Medicine." She simply answers, holding the bag up. Scarlett spots Denise and walks over, giving the medicine to her. "Here. When you have a chance, put them up." She whispers before pushing through the crowd, ready to get the blood off of her. She senses a presence behind her and she glances back, seeing Spencer. Abruptly stopping, she turns around, glaring at him.

"What?" She snaps, crossing her arms. "I want to talk." He replies and Scarlett looks over his shoulder to see Daryl staring at them. "No. I'm done." She tells him before walking off to the house.