Lady Of The Night - JDM

Evangeline was just your average girl, at least that was what she liked everyone to think. She started out her adult life with good intentions, study, get a job, buy a house... the usual stuff. But after a series of failed relationships and some poor life choices she found herself taking a completely different path. Once scraping by as a cleaner at a couple of motels, she now frequently visited those same motels for another reason entirely.

She had never intended on becoming 'a lady of the night' as her mother had once called them. But then again who does? It just happened to fall into her lap one night after a particularly shitty week. Some sleezebag had mistaken her for a hooker and offered her a bunch of money for sex so, being so down and out she just went along with it. It wasn't an entirely unpleasant experience and it was the easiest money she ever made, so she continued, telling herself she would only do it long enough to save up some money and turn her life around.

During one particularly quiet night she found herself sitting in a small bar nursing a rather strong whiskey when a stranger sat on the stool beside her. He ordered a double scotch, neat, and wasted no time in engaging her in conversation.

"You look pretty deep in thought there" he smiled charmingly, his voice deep and husky, perhaps from smoking cigarettes.

"Questioning my life choices" she said with a small huff of a chuckle.

"You wanna talk about it?" He asked. "Let me buy you a drink".

"Do you not realise the kind of woman I am?" She said as she eyed him from her peripheral vision.

"I dunno... what kind of woman are you?"

"The kind that charges by the hour and doesn't require a man to buy her a drink so she'll put out" she quipped.

"Who says I want you to put out?"

"Isn't that what all men want?" She scoffed.

"You wanna know what I think?" He asked.

"Sure... go ahead".

"I see a woman who made some choices in life that she is now regretting. She wants more for herself, but doesn't know how to move on from this" he told her.

"Seems like you know all about me. Tell me about you" she said, turning to look at him properly, shocked when she realised exactly who she had been talking to this whole time.

"Judging by that look on your face I'm guessing you already know all about me too" he chuckled.

"Sorry... I'm trying not to fangirl out right now" she laughed.

"Jeffrey" he smiled as he held out his hand.

"Evangeline" she smiled shyly as she shook his hand.

"Is that your... professional name?"

"Nope, that's the name given to me by my parents" she chuckled and he looked at her with a raised brow. "Yeah they were kinda hippies" she giggled.

"So how long have you been... you know?"

"About a year?"

"And you want out?"

"Yeah. I just... it's not like I planned it you know. Things happened and it kinda just spiraled. But I don't want this life anymore".

"What's stopping you?"

"Fear I guess".

"Fear of your boss?"

"I have no pimp if thats what you mean, I fly solo. I'm scared of failure. I'm scared that if I try and make a life beyond this I will fail and end up right back here. This was only supposed to be a temporary thing. You know until I got back on my feet".

"And are you? Back on your feet that is".

"Kinda. I mean it's not real easy to find a respectable job without a lot of experience".

"What are you good at?"

"I have good people skills" she joked making him chuckle.

"Seriously?"

"I used to be a cleaner. I was barely getting by. Really though, I am good with people, my Mum always said I had a way with words. I have computer skills. I'm organised, I'm methodical... maybe a little OCD" she laughed.

"Maybe I can help you out?" He suggested.

"Help me out? How?"

"Help you find a job" he smiled. "A good paying job where you don't have to do anything you don't want to".

"Sounds too good to be true. Why do I feel like there's a catch?"

"No catch. Honestly. Not every man wants favours in return for something" he chuckled. "I know someone who is looking for an assistant. Organising schedules, fielding phone calls, emails... stuff like that. Would you be interested?"

"Sounds great. Maybe you could put in a good word for me?" She smiled sweetly.

"You're hired" he grinned.

"Wait what!?"

"My life is a mess and I can't organise shit. Are you in?"

"100% I don't even know what to say. I can't thank you enough... I really needed this".

"Don't mention it, we're both doing eachother a favour" he smiled charmingly.

"So when do I start?"

"Tomorrow if you want?"

"Hell yes" she chuckled.

Who would have thought that a chance meeting in a bar with none other than Jeffrey Dean Morgan would give her the job opportunity of a life time. No more dealing with sad weird men and their creepy mummy issues, or gross old dudes with their disgusting fetishes. Things were finally changing for the better.