Chapter 4

Jason woke up around noon on Friday morning on the loveseat in his sisters room, his first thought was to check on his mother. He quickly grabbed his phone to find missed calls from his father. He scrolled through the messages and sighed, quickly calling him back. "Yeah, sorry. I was asleep, Charlotte came in the middle of the night and started getting sick, so I was up most of the early morning...Yeah, she's alright. She's sleeping right now... yeah, I'll let her know... oh, wait- hey, when is mom getting discharged... oh, sometime tomorrow- okay, good. See you soon." He finished the call and ended it, locking his phone and setting it down bedside him. He slowly lifted his head and checked on Charlotte who hadn't woken up yet. He smiled and watched as he noticed her beginning to wake up. "Hey sleepyhead."

Charlotte smirked and rubbed her eyes, slowly turning to face him. "Ah, I see how it is." She giggled and slowly lifted her shirt. "It leaked again." She sighed and looked over at him. "I think you'll have to change the sheets again." She frowned and looked at him as he got up and went to pick her up. She squirmed slightly as she was placed in her wheelchair. "Alright... I know the drill." She rolled her eyes.

Jason smirked at her, then looked into her eyes. "Wake up," he smiled. "Also- attitude please." He said with a finger in the air. He saw her roll her eyes again, glancing at her. "Alright. Do you want a bath now or later?" He asked.

It was easy for her to answer. "Not now, aren't we going to visit mom today?" She asked, then saw him nod. "Do you know what time? Maybe around 2?" She tilted her head.

Jason nodded, "Yes. Around three, but I do need to at least get you in new clothes. You pick them out this time and I'll get the car ready." He slowly got up, going to his room to change his clothes. He returned to his sisters room with a light t-shirt and long navy colored jeans. He gave his sister a smile, then looked through her closet, picking different outfits to see what Charlotte would like.

Charlotte saw the striped t-shirt with blue and white and shook her head. "There should be a dark blue shirt with old navy written on it. Also, a pair of my leggings... the ones with the elastic on the bottom." She gave him a small smile.

Jason nodded and picked out the clothes she wanted and got her a pair of shoes to wear. "I'll help you, unless you think you can do it yourself..." he trailed off slightly, then set the clothes on the bed as he saw his sister reach for them.

"I think I can dress myself this time." She said, slowly sitting up comfortably. She smiled as she saw her brother leave the room and go to his room. She knew he was around the corner in case she needed help, but she knew she could do it for herself this time. She took a deep breath before taking her pajamas off, tying her hair back. She carefully removed her pants, then sat up in a way she could get the leggings on comfortably. "Okay, I'm dressed now." She said loud enough to where he could hear her.

Jason returned with his cell phone, wallet, and a light leather jacket. "Alright." He said as he put his jacket on, his wallet and phone in his pockets. He went to his sisters bedside and gently lifted her off of the bed and into her wheelchair. "You think you can push yourself to the car?" He tilted his head in question.

Charlotte smiled up at her older brother. "Of course. You do know I like to be independent at times. I definitely want to try and get myself into the van this time though." She told him as she followed him out of her room, into the living room, then to the front door. She carefully lifted her castor wheels so she wouldn't get caught on the step. She held the wheels carefully as she slowly went down the ramp and to the side of the van.

Jason watched his sister and went to the car, getting the door open and the seat back for her. "Alright. Careful, don't forget to put the breaks." He reminded her. Charlotte nodded and put the breaks on. She carefully reached up for the handlebars, lifting herself up and into the seat. She gave her brother a soft smile.