Chapter 23

Charlotte stared out the window as they drove towards the direction of the hospital. She had been crying the whole way there and she just felt numb. She couldn't believe this was happening. She wished cancer wouldn't kill so many people. She glanced at Belle who was sitting at her feet. She wore the same neck brace to attempt to prevent any injuries as she was already paralyzed quite a bit. She looked back out the window and watched as they passed other cars, buildings, and signs that read what exit to go off of.

When they pulled into the parking lot, Sara parked in the handicapped parking, letting Belle out. She opened the back and carefully lifted her wheelchair and set it by the door. She closed the trunk and opened the door of the side Charlotte was sitting at. She helped her lift her legs onto the footplate. Charlotte then lifted herself up and into the small wheelchair. It was customized directly to fit her body shape and height. Belle sat right beside the wheelchair and waited for Charlotte to begin moving.

Charlotte undid the brakes and waited as her mother locked the car up. She began to push herself towards the hospital entrance. It was around seven in the evening and it was pretty dark out, which was unusual for Ohio. She smiled as Belle began to take over as Charlotte held the leash. Belle has her service dog vest on with the patches.

Charlotte was silent as they entered the hospital and went to the room Ashley was in. She saw her lying there, helpless. There was a tube down her throat and so so many machines.

She wasn't sure how to react, but she stayed silent instead. She moved closer to the bed as she began to cry softly. So many emotions were going in her mind. She slowly reached out and held Ashley's hand. She was quiet as she laid her arms on the bed, crying softly. "Ashle— ashley don't leave!" She mumbled as she closed her eyes.

All that could be heard was the sound of the machine breathing for her. Would this be the end?