Chapter 31

Jason held a bottle of water as he paced back and forth in the waiting room, waiting to see if his sister was still alive. He noticed a few of the people were staring, but he ignored it as he rubbed the back of his neck and continued pacing.

He sighed softly as he glanced as a doctor walked into the room. "Yes, What happened?" He asked as he looked at the doctor, biting his lip nervously.

The doctor sat him down on one of the chairs. "Okay... Charlotte has a deadly infection that we've started a high dose of antibiotics. We're hoping she can fight this. So all we can do right now, is wait."

Jason was somewhat furious, but he didn't give off that vibe. He simply nodded in response and followed as the doctor led him into the room she was in. He stood there by the door as he looked at his sister. He noticed she still had a smile on her face, despite how awful she felt. That's the one thing that stands out about Charlotte. Her persistence, determination, and desire to keep pushing herself.

Jason sat beside his sister and watched as she breathed, her chest rising and falling as she slept. He could see small movements, but he stayed silent about it. He picked up his phone and scrolled through some old photos of them. He had began to tear up once he got to the photo they took when she was first in the hospital. He wiped the tears that fell down his cheeks.

He set his phone down as he held his head and cried, letting all of his emotions out as he looked at his sister. "Please don't die on me... not now. Please, I can't lose you..." he said in between ragged breaths. He stuttered slightly. "I can't have you-you dying on m-me." He said.

Charlotte's hand moved weakly to hold Jason's. she couldn't speak so she didn't waste a breath with it. She opened her eyes and have him a look, telling him that she was still fighting. She would continue to fight until she couldn't anymore. That's the thing, she never gave up.

Jason heard footsteps by the door so he got up and checked outside of the room. His parents were speaking, to each other. He looked at them as time seemed to slow down. He could barely make out what they were saying to him.

"She doesn't have much longer. Her body is too weak and she's not keeping any weight on no matter what we do. The cancer has spread and not only is she fighting this infection, but she will need to be on a ventilator soon... we're hoping it doesn't get to that point-..."

The sound was cut off as he held his head and cried, nearly collapsing to the ground in heavy sobs. He couldn't. He couldn't even explain how empty he felt. His wife was having a child in six months and his sister only had days to live. What was he going to do? Will he go ahead and have them place her on life support to see if she'll fight the infection, or sign a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)?