Chapter 20 - Jason's POV

Jason's eyes slowly opened as he looked around. He wasn't in the OR anymore and he had a different colored cast on his left arm. He turned slightly and looked at the monitors, then looked to the other side noticing his sister wasn't there. He seemed blank at first, then was panicking internally. He didn't know what happened or if she had died or what. He noticed a stuffed animal on the floor and tilted his head. He carefully got up and dragged the IV pole with him, kneeling down to pick up the stuffed bear. He scanned it with his eyes, turning and flipping it to examine it. "Seems fine... now." He murmured. It looked different when it was further away.

A nurse walked into the room, which happened to be his mother. "What happened to Charlotte?" He asked quickly. His mother sighed. "They're running tests and she's in the icu now. Umm, they're planning to move her to the PICU soon, I'll let you know." Sara sighed.

Jason's eyebrows were furrowed in concern as he didn't know what could've happened to his sister but things didn't look good at all now. He was more worried than he had ever been. He didn't know what to think about the situation. He was thinking and overthinking for hours on end before his mother put him in a wheelchair and pushed him towards the Pediatric intensive care unit. His mother directed him to room seven and looked through the sliding glass door.

Jason gulped as he saw his sister laying there helpless in the bed. He saw the countless wires she was hooked up to and the bags of IV medicine. He started to tear up. "Do they know what's wrong yet?" He asked his mother.

Sara sighed. "The scans showed that the cancer has spread... to her cervical spine. So far, she's breathing on her own. They're hoping she'll continue to breathe on her own, but they're saying she will be wheelchair bound." She paused, rubbing her arm nervously. "They won't know until the physical therapist checks her out tomorrow."

Jason nodded and tried to calm his nerves. "Can I go in and see her?" He asked, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

Sara nodded and slowly slid the glass door open, careful not to make too much noise. Jason wheeled himself inside and to Charlotte's side. "I'm sorry Charlotte... I wish I could've done more to help." He murmured. He sighed and gently reached and held Charlotte's hand. "I'm here, okay? I'm not going anywhere." He told her.
Jason stayed with her the entire night, watching her closely as the nurses and doctors went in and out of the room. He barely got any sleep and spent most of his time watching over his little sister.

~~~

The next morning, Jason's fiancée arrived at the hospital and met up with Jessica in the cafeteria. Even though he didn't want to leave his sisters side, he needed to speak with Jess. He needed her to know what was going on and why they would have to push back the date of the wedding. He hated the fact that he had to do it, but his sister was the flower girl and he couldn't let her miss that. It wasn't going to happen. Even if his sister was wheelchair bound, he knew Charlotte would still be the flower girl that tosses the flower petals.

Then suddenly Jason had an idea as he went to the cafeteria. He saw Jess sitting down at a table with a blank expression on her face. He sat down across from her and sighed. "So... I have an idea. So let me explain... I know you're worried about this weekend..." He paused as his fiancée nodded. "But I had a better idea. So you know the small chapel here in the hospital?" He tilted his head. Jess nodded.

Jason continued. "I was thinking we could have the ceremony here so Charlotte could still be the flower girl." He was hesitant on the next part. He gulped slightly. "Dr Brown, the oncologist said the tumor has spread to her neck so she could lose the ability to walk and she would continue to be feeding tube dependant, but he didn't say if she would be able to eat orally still since it could be unsafe... I know I'm just rambling." He murmured, gently squeezing Jess's hand.

Jess cared so much for Charlotte so she wasn't hesitant at all to do the ceremony in the hospital. "I think it's a great idea. Especially since they don't know when she'll be released, I'm guessing... I'm just hoping she's okay. I know you said the tumor spread, but do they know what happened?" She was talking about the accident.

Jason sighed. "We're guessing a drunk driver his us because of the way the car was hit. Plus  charlotte's team of doctors are saying the cancer spread due to the injury from the accident plus a few there factors they are looking into." He yawned slightly, not mentioning how he hadn't slept most of the night.

Jessica sighed. "Must have been pretty bad then... I never expected it to be that bad. Plus her wheelchair survived?" She had a questionable look on her face.

Jason nodded, wiping the tears from his eyes. "Yeah, it did. We're not sure how but there's only a few scratches so thankfully we won't have to buy a new custom wheelchair. That would be expensive, especially since my parents are having to work hard as it is. I'm just thankful they both work here." He said, running a hand through his brown hair that reached around two inches in length.

Jessica rubbed her hand nervously. "I hope she'll be alright though." She didn't know what to say, other than hoping she'd be alright. She couldn't put together the words she needed to say. 
Jason pulled out his phone and began texting everyone that needed to be messaged about the wedding. Today was Thursday and the wedding was Sunday. He had three days to get everything planned. He messaged his parents, the bridesmaids, the best man and more of their family members to inform them that they would be having the wedding ceremony in the hospital.

Once Jason finished contacting people and see Jessica leave, he wheeled himself  towards his sisters room. When he got there, he saw she was awake. He smiled and slowly turned to face her.