Chapter 14

Charlotte woke up the next morning, her mother beside her. She slowly sat up and looked around, glancing at her phone on the side table. She slowly reached and picked it up. She noticed five messages from Ashley and two missed calls from an unknown number. She tilted her head slightly as she looked at it in confusion. She scrolled through the messages, noticing the messages were cut off by a few words. She quickly attempted to call Ashley, hoping everything was okay.  

She was silent as she waited for a response, but she didn't really get one. She sat up and looked around as she noticed her mother beginning to wake up. She gulped slightly as she set the phone down. "Hey mom..." she started to say.

Her mother noticed the hesitation and was worried. "What is it," She asked.

Charlotte stared at her mother as she started to tear up. "Ashley's in the hospital... she's in critical condition..." she gulped, looking down at her lap. "They said it's an infection from her central line, but she hasn't become septic yet, so they're trying to get it under...control with antibiotics.." a shallow breath escaped her lips as she tried to keep herself calm. She knew she wouldn't be able to see her like that, but she needed to support her best friend.

Sara sighed softly as she gently hugged her daughter, nodding softly as she kissed her head. "It's okay. We will go see her later, okay?"

Charlotte had woken up at four in the morning with the messages. She had a bad feeling which woke her up in her sleep. She glanced around the room, slowly unhooking from the tubes and wires. She was still so exhausted and her body ached from the adventure they had last night. She was pretty weak as well from malnutrition. But thankfully, today she had an appointment with the nutritionist and her oncology doctor. She was nervous to see the results of the tumor in her brain, but she was also excited because they would be able to find a treatment plan to go off of. Her health wasn't the greatest at the moment, but she tried her hardest to stay positive and push herself to her limits. She also tried her best not to overdo it either, which is why she was in so much pain today.

Charlotte decided she would stay home most of the morning, then go visit Ashley later on in the afternoon. Charlotte was down in the living room with her mom as they watched Christmas movies. Thanksgiving was this week and she would have a lot of family members over. She was honestly nervous what they would think about her. She wasn't sure if she should wear her beanie or the wig she was given.

Charlotte shook the thoughts away as she didn't need to focus on that at the moment. She tried to turn her attention to the rain falling outside. She slowly moved herself to the window, lifting the blinds and opening the curtains. She slowly sat against the windowsill, looking out the window as the rain fell. She knew it would be too cold for her to go outside. Plus her mother was washing her winter coat.

She slowly put her hand against the cold glass window. She drew an image with her finger from the condensation. She smiled and slowly moved her hand back down. She slowly turned to look at the television, then to Belle who was laying on the floor.

Charlotte watched as Belle slowly began to walk towards her. She smiled at Belle and slowly began to pet her. She closed her eyes slightly as Belle jumped on her lap. She smiled down at Belle and began petting her head. "Hi Belle." She murmured softly as she scratched her ears. Charlotte slowly put the blinds back down, then covered the blinds with the curtains. She went back over to the couch as Belle followed her.

A few hours pass and Charlotte was getting ready to go see Ashley in the hospital. She knew she would have to wear a mask to protect herself and Ashley from bacteria or something similar. She sat in the backseat of her mother's vehicle, Belle sitting on her lap. She began petting Belles head gently. She stayed silent the whole ride there as she was scared to think or overthink about the situation. She focused on the buildings and the outer environment until they arrived at the hospital she was in.

Charlotte pushed herself and decided to walk this time, especially with Belle at her side. She knew she would be okay as long as Belle was with her. She didn't have to worry so much about falling or losing her balance as Belle helped her a lot with balance and retrieving items. Charlotte loved how much Belle seemed to take care of her.

As soon as Charlotte reaches the room Ashley was in, she put the mask on and went to Ashley's bedside, hugging her lightly. "I'm so glad you're okay." She said as she went and held her hand. Ashley was asleep, obviously very weak from the infection. Charlotte gulped slightly as she slowly set a stuffed panda beside Ashley's head.

Charlotte's mother was in the hall, speaking to one of the doctors and then to Ashley's mom.

Charlottes only focus was on Ashley and Belle who carefully got up on the bed by Ashley's feet. Charlotte sat to the side of her. "It's okay, I'm here. Just rest." She told her, a groan coming from Ashley was the response. She sighed and nodded, not knowing what she could do at this point.