Chapter 18

A week had passed and Charlotte was back at home. Everything seemed different when she woke up. The house was unusually silent and it actually worried her. She slowly sat up from bed, glancing at the side table and seeing a note on the table that read: "hey sweetie. I had to go to work, Jason should be home in a few hours. I already set your feeds so don't worry. Just watch a movie. -Mom."
She smiled slightly as she set the paper down and then picked up the iPad, choosing a game to play. She then set it down and reached for the bottled water beside her and took a few drinks as she waited for the game to start up.

Jason arrived home a few hours after Charlotte woke up, just like her mother said. He came into the house with his luggage and took everything to his room before going to his sisters room and seeing her half asleep watching a movie. He could hear soft grunts as his sister started to fall asleep. He smiled, then sat down on the futon by her bed. He propped his head up with his elbow as he pulled his phone out and began texting his fiancé. Yes, he was engaged now. Which Charlotte didn't know about yet, but he was hoping to break the news to her when she woke up. He was nervous also since his sister would be meeting his fiancée today as well. He played a game on his phone as he waited for his sister to wake up. In which she woke around an hour later. He gave her a bright smile. "I have some news. I'm not sure how you'll react to it though." He told her.

Charlotte slowly tilted her head as she looked at him, wondering what he would say. Then he said it. "I'm engaged. To a girl... named Jessica. You'll be meeting her today." She was in shock, but she was happy for her brother, hugging him tightly as she cried tears of joy. "I'm so happy for you!" She told him, a smile forming on her face.

Jason laughed and pat his sisters shoulder. "I see you're excited... well. I'm happy to say we've been engaged for a little while and the wedding is next weekend so I was thinking we could go out and find you a nice dress to wear for the ceremony." He said with a soft smile.

Charlotte nodded and slowly sat up, her brother helping her unhook her feeds and turning off the pump. She got up from bed and walked to her closet, looking for w clean set of clothes to wear. She didn't know what she should wear. She picked out her usually clothes which were leggings and a shirt with floral patterns. She changed into the clothes in her bathroom then took the dirty ones down the hall to the laundry room. She was thankful she didn't have to use the wheelchair as much due to her regaining strength in her legs, but she still used it for longer trips.

Once Charlotte was ready to go, Jason got the van ready and put her wheelchair in the back of the van like usual. She focused on the scenery outside as they drove towards the mall. She hadn't been too nauseous lately, but she would be having her next round of chemo next week before the wedding unfortunately. She tried not to focus on that though since it was next week and she wouldn't have to worry until later on.

Jason was humming along to a song on the radio, looking around and at the mirrors as he drove. He panicked slightly as he had to slam on the brakes. "Oh shoot, sorry. I didn't realize..." he murmured. "Are you Okay Charlotte?" He called out and looked at his rear view mirror.

Charlotte gulped slightly before nodding, realizing she had jinxed the whole nausea part. She found one of the bags they gave her from the hospital and just held onto it just in case. She glanced at Jason and nodded. "Y-Yeah I think so- just focus on driving." She told him as she nearly gagged. She closed her eyes tightly as she laid back.

Jadon sighed and put his foot into the accelerator gently as the light turned green, suddenly a car from the other side came crashing into them. The car began spinning and Charlotte and Jason both passed out. The car was in shambles and both siblings were injured. The sound of yelling, chaos, and car horns could be heard at the scene of the accident. A drink driver had ran a red light and hit them on Charlotte's side.