Chapter 8

Charlotte woke up extremely nauseous, feeling the effects from the chemo. She quickly opened her eyes and looked around for Jason then saw him on his phone, but his eyes were closed. She quickly called out for him, "Jason I think I'm about to vomit." She told him as she looked panicked, but she didn't get a response. She looked down at Belle and noticed she seemed alarmed as well. She pointed to the bag across the room and covered her mouth as she watched Belle jump down from the couch and run to grab the bag with her mouth, then brought it back to Charlotte who grabbed it quickly. She put her mouth over it as she began to vomit the cake she had eaten, plus the leftover pizza.

Jason had woken up when he heard the sounds of vomiting and scrambled to get to her. He went to her side and rubbed her back. "You should've woken me up." He said to her, then sighed as he knew the chemo was the cause.

Charlotte looked at him as she took a breath, "I tried but- I guess you didn't hear me or something." She murmured before quickly leaning over the bag, dry heaving.

Jason sighed as he did his best to comfort his sister, holding her hair back, rubbing her back, and whispering soft, soothing words in her ear. Belle stood on the floor by Charlotte as a protective manner. Belle seemed to be worried, whimpering softly. She needed to go out, but Charlotte and Jason were a bit busy.

Once Charlotte was finished, Jason took Belle out and brought her back in when she was finished with her business. Belle jumped up onto Charlotte's lap, but barely fit since Charlotte was on her wheelchair about to head to her room. Now think about it, it's four in the morning so she definitely wanted her bed. She was exhausted and vomiting didn't help. Jason came up to the room with her and got her feeds set up like usual, but ran it at a slower rate since she seemed a bit nauseous still.

Jacob was careful as he helped her into bed and let Belle get up on the bed. Jason then kissed his sisters forehead and set up some calm music to help her sleep. He went to his room and sort of laid there for a while thinking about everything. He stared up at the ceiling and thought about all the times when he was younger, silent as he remembered his fifth birthday when his sister was born. He never expected his life to turn out like it has. Not that it was a bad thing, just that he wished things were different. He wished his sister didn't have cancer. He wished she didn't have to deal with all of this. He wished everything was how it used to be.

Jason slowly got up and decided to take a shower since his sister was asleep and Belle could help her incase she were to wake up. He took off his shirt and found a pair of shorts to wear. He took them into the bathroom and turned the shower on. He stepped inside after taking his clothing off. He let the water run down his achy body and tried to relax. His head throbbed as he stood there, running a hand through his hair.

He closed his eyes and let the warm water begin to relax his sore muscles and rid all of the thoughts on his mind. He felt calm, but he also knew it was probably the medicine he took for his back pain earlier. He grabbed the bottle of shampoo when he opened his eyes and began massaging it through his hair, the ingredients making his head feel cool and calm. He smiled a bit as he thought about his sisters reaction to everything she had got for her birthday. He decided he would help his sister set up the laptop later that day.

Since it was four in the morning, the house was silent as his parents both had the day off that day since Charlotte would be getting a spinal tap procedure done later on in the morning. He hated seeing his sister go through them, but he knew they were needed to make sure the cancer was shrinking. He also remembered his sister would be getting an MRI as well to check the progress. His sister really didn't like MRI's so he was allowed to speak to her throughout the time she was inside of the machine.

Once he was finished with his shower, he stepped out and wrapped a towel around his waist. He walked into his room and saw the dog laying there. "What are you doing Belle?" He asked her, then sat down at the end of his bed and began petting her. "You should be with Charlotte asleep... you probably want attention I'm guessing." He said as he stood up and nodded, running a hand through his wet hair then beginning to get dressed into a T-shirt and shorts with his boxers. He stood there a moment before noticing Belle on the floor now, sniffing on the floor for something. "What are you looking for?" He asked, slowly kneeling down and looking under his bed. He smiled as he pulled out a box and slowly began opening it, dusting it off with his hands. "Oh, my comic books. Let me guess... you want me to read them?" He tilted his head and the dog did the same, slowly moving over to Jason. He sat there with the box open and began taking them out, chuckling as he looked through the many types of comic books. "I haven't opened this in so long." He said mostly to himself as he began skimming through the pages of each comic book. He chuckled lightly as he checked the time then began reading them.