Chapter 33

Jason woke up the next morning, a throbbing headache and dizziness swarming his vision. He laid there and didn't move until the dizziness was too much. He called out for Jessica who was in the living room. He called out for her. "Jess?" He said, closing his eyes tightly as he curled up and on the bed.

Jessica was sat on the couch, watching the British baking show where she enjoyed watching the people bake. She glanced at the photo on her phone of the baby inside of her. She was only a few months away from knowing what they were going to get for her. They were getting the room set up as she was now six months along and she could have the baby at any time. The doctors plan was for her to have the baby in January, but it may not necessarily be that for sure; which it could be sooner. They had decided to decorate the room with special animals and a jungle-like set up as Jessica enjoyed doing art, so she was working on it everyday. She was making it much better each day and it continued to go along for a few weeks until it was actually finished. The finished product was monkeys and some rhinos and other animals that are kid-friendly. She smiled as she looked around at it all. She placed her hands on her stomach as she felt small kicks on her hands. She chuckled and called out for Jason, then realized Jason wasn't answering.

Jessica got up and looked around until she heard a sound from the bedroom. She quickly rushed to the bedroom as she saw him laid there in agony. "Babe, what's wrong?" She asked as she tried to comfort him. She placed a hand on his skin and felt he was running a fever. "Jason." When he didn't respond, she quickly pulled out her phone. She messaged his father before calling for an ambulance. She was thankful she had taken classes for first aid and such since it was definitely needed now. She checked for a pulse and was relieved when his heart was still beating. She took a deep breath as she told herself not to panic. She couldn't panic now.

She waited as an ambulance arrived and confirmed he could have appendicitis. Which means he would need surgery to remove his appendix. Jessica drove right behind the ambulance as it rushed to St. Mary's Medical Center. She played quiet music on her way there to keep herself calm. She played classical music as she rubbed her stomach gently as she parked into the parking lot.

She carried a bag behind her as she rushed into the emergency room doors and followed into the room he was taken to. She carried the hospital bag with her to the room. She sat down beside him and held his hand as they got him admitted. "It's okay. I'm here. Just relax." She said, rubbing his shoulder gently. "I'm not going anywhere." She felt a bit of pain in her abdomen and blamed it on kicks from the baby. She was exactly thirty weeks pregnant. She looked down at her stomach and placed a hand down as she watched over Jason. She spent hours waiting for blood work and for them to start fluids on him. In the time, he experienced more symptoms and they had to rush him to emergency surgery as his appendix was rupturing.

She was forced to wait in the waiting room as she continued to have small amounts of contractions every ten to twenty minutes. She panicked slightly, but thought of all of the lessons she learned and all of the classes she and Jason took to be prepared for this. She was having this baby, wishing Jason would be with her.

She got herself up and messaged Charlotte mother, Sara. When Sara rushed into the room, she knew exactly what to do. Jess was exhausted and scared, but Sara knew what to do. That, she was thankful for.

Sara helped Jessica onto a wheelchair and wheeled her to the OBGYN floor. She was exhausted by the time they got to the room. Jessica was assisted onto the bed and the obgyn nurse was already there waiting for her. She waited patiently as the nurse got her into the system.

Jessica laid in bed as she held her bump gently, a monitor hooked into her for the contractions and movement from the baby. There was a second monitor hooked up to her stomach that watched the baby's Heartbeat. There were monitors hooked up to Jessica's chest and arms. They also started an IV and gave her some medication to keep her comfortable.

Jason was in surgery as they were in the process of removing his ruptured appendix. The doctors were working quickly and carefully as they surgically removed his appendix.

Jessica stared at the television blankly as she waited for the news from the nurse. The second the nurse in, she spoke. "How's Jason? Is he going to be okay?" She asked, obviously worried out of her mind. She couldn't keep herself calm due to all the anxiety about having the whole contractions and such. She was hoping they were just Braxton hicks contractions and that she wouldn't actually be having the baby. She wore a loose gown on her body as she looked at the nurse.

The nurse frowned slightly. "He's stable, but they need to keep him under observation just in case. He's awake and he instantly asked for Charlotte so he's been wheeled to see her." Jessica nodded as the nurse began to help her get more comfortable.

Jason's POV

Jason sat in a wheelchair beside his sisters bed, holding her hand gently. He could see all of the wires and tubes she was connected to. He sighed and then looked at her when he thought he heard a voice. "What'd you say?" He asked.

"If I die... I need you to keep this and please... do it in memory of me." He heard, then felt a folded piece of paper slide into his hand. He stared at it before opening the folded paper that read off what Charlotte wanted to do before she died, but was unable to do now. He sat there and winced slightly as he laid back in the wheelchair, watching as Charlotte's body went limp.

He sat there for a moment before realizing what was happening. He heard the sound of the flatline and panicked, trying to get his sister to wake up. He shook her body, trying to wake her. He then saw Charlotte laughing. "I gotcha."

He stared at her, a bit flustered and angry, "Charlotte! You can't be doing that! It's not okay!" He said as he quickly went to her and hugged her, Charlotte's head nodding.

"Fine, fine. Okay. I was just trying to have a little fun, come on." She had said.

He sighed and looked at her. "Okay, well don't do it again, please..." he said, a nod in response. He sat there a bit before he heard a nurse walking in.

"I just need to check her vitals and such. I think Jessica is here for you, um.. she's in a room and they think she's going into preterm labor." He sat there shocked before beginning to wheel himself to the nurses desk. "I... what room is Jessica Dunn in?" He asked. The nurse gave him the room number and helped him into the room.

When he entered the room, he saw his wife laying there with monitors hooked up to her belly. "Jess... I'm sorry- I didn't realize the stress..." he paused as he looked at her.

~~~

The second Jessica heard a wheelchair squeaking, she looked up and saw Jason. "J-Jason." She said, cutting him off. "I'm so glad you're okay, but shouldn't you be in bed resting and recovering?" She said.

He nodded and sighed softly as he sat down beside her on the bed. "So they're saying your in labor, but your water hasn't broken yet?"

Jessica nodded. "Yeah they're mostly observing me just in case little bit decides to come early."

Jason smiled slightly. "I wouldn't mind it coming sooner. I mean we didn't want to know the gender so if it decides to come sooner, it wouldn't be so bad."

Jessica chuckled lightly and nodded in agreement. "I see what you mean. I guess you're right. They said my water hasn't broken yet, but I think I already said that." She looked at him and smiled.

Jason slowly reached his hand out to hold Jessica's. "I'll be here every step of the way. I promise. Even if Charlotte continues to get worse." He said, carefully placing his fingers on her stomach gently. He caresses her skin gently and felt small kicks. "Little bit... I think it likes me. They just kicked." He giggled.