Chapter 5

Here's chapter 5! Looking forward to posting chapter 6 and 7 today!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jason and charlotte's mother was released from the hospital a day after they had visited her. Charlotte was getting her second round of chemo for the month. Jason was with her, holding her hand and playing a game with his left hand. He was playing candy crush, kind of stuck on a level.

Charlotte was half asleep when she heard a door opening. She slowly opened her eyes and noticed her brother coming in with a sandwich and a bag of chips. She watched as he came in and sat down, "You hungry?" Jason asked her, getting a head shake, meaning no. He figured the chemo would make her lose her appetite. Not only was she getting chemo, but they were also giving her a blood transfusion due to her being anemic. He looked at the IVs in her arms and sighed. He closed his eyes as he sat down. He wished these didn't take so long and he wished she wasn't so tired. He began to play a game in his phone again, but something different since it probably wouldn't frustrate him as much. He closed his eyes a bit before trying to relax in the chair.

Jason took about a ten minute nap before waking up from the nurse coming in. He sighed and reached over to grab the remote. He stared at it for a moment before turning the television on which was hanging against the wall. He noticed it turning on and began surfing through the channels, glancing at his sleeping sister every few minutes. He was thankful she was getting some rest especially since they were going shopping for groceries later that day. It was around 2 hours later he had noticed his sister waking up. "Hey, how are you feeling?" He asked with a gentle tone in case she had a headache.

Charlotte rubbed her eyes a bit before slowly sitting up, nodding slightly. "A bit tired, but not too bad. Umm.. aren't we going to the store after?" She smiled slightly before turning and looking at the machines to her right. She read the labels and sighed, then turned to look at her brother. "Halfway done..." She said before moving her hair from her face. She saw him respond with a simple nod. She noticed he seemed pretty tired. "Do you even sleep?" She asked as she tilted her head and lifted the blankets off of her legs.

Jason turned to her and sighed. "Not really, but it's fine. I slept okay last night, but later we can play a few games... I took a bit of a nap, closing my eyes for a bit." He responded and slowly sat up, running a hand through his short brown hair. He leaned over to his right and opened his backpack, pulling out a snack. "I mean, I know these treatments aren't exactly fun, but at least you're able to sleep through most of it... I forgot to bring my laptop to do my homework, so I've been working on it on my phone so it's taken twice as long. It's something to do at least..." He shrugged.

Charlotte nodded and yawned before responding, "I guess you're right. It is better than doing nothing..." A sound of beeping cut her off. She turned to look at the machines and sighed. "I guess it's done now then..." She said and reached for the call button for the nurse. Once the nurse arrived, she watched as the nurse removed her from the machines. The nurse shut off the machines as well, cleaning up while deaccessing from her central line. The nurse then got Charlotte cleaned up and covered the line so it wouldn't get infected or anything. She was super thankful for the line especially due to her having no vein access at this point. She knew she was tired though, thankful a wheelchair was a thing.

Once Charlotte was ready to be discharged for the day, Jason helped her into the wheelchair and began their journey to the store. Jason pulled into a handicapped parking spot and got her wheelchair out, helping her into it and getting them a cart. He figured she would be able to push herself, even if she couldn't, he could hold her hand and basically pull her with him. Jason helped her throughout the way, buying the usual they get. Most of the time they got the same items which consisted of; bread, eggs, milk, chips, fruits and vegetables, coconut milk, baking needs, and a bit more protein needs.

Though the trip to the store was tiring, Charlotte pushed herself a bit more and got herself inside without the wheelchair which was a big thing. Even Jason was surprised by this. He gave her a soothing smile and watched just in case she were to fall. He noticed that she even made it to the living room couch before sitting down. He began to tear up slightly. "Charlotte... that's amazing... considering you haven't been able to walk much for a while." He gently went to her and hugged her tightly. "This is amazing!"

Charlotte nodded and chuckled lightly before pulling away from his tight hug. "I guess it is, but I'm exhausted now... maybe we could play a few games or watch a movie, but I'm hoping we could play on the PlayStation." She said as she shrugged slightly and got herself more comfortable before wrapping the blanket around her body.

Jason nodded, "Yeah, I'll bring it out here from my room, then get the games." He told her before turning and waking to his room. He unplugged all the wires and put them all together before carrying it out to the living room. He set it down by the television and got everything hooked up before returning to his room to get the games. He set the twelve games on the coffee table so Charlotte could decide what she wanted.

Charlotte smiled when she saw the amount of games to choose from. She couldn't decide exactly which one she wanted so she began to read the backs of them to get an idea of what she would want to play. She found a car game and handed it to her brother, deciding she would try to play a few different games.

Jason smiled as well and took the game out of its' case and put it into the player, waiting on the game to start and handing her one of the remotes. He couldn't imagine what she must be thinking about it the whole situation. It was something no child should have to go through. It hurt him to see how much she suffered, but he loved how strong she was and how much she fought daily to get through it. He honestly couldn't figure out how his sister could do it. He surely wouldn't be able to react the way if he was in her position. He sighed softly as he sat down beside her and watched her play the game.