Chapter 22: Part 2

Charlotte clapped as Jason kissed Jessica, a huge smile on her face as she could finally witness something like this. She didn't expect it to be this great, plus being so close to the bride and groom. All of the energy she had used was so worth it. She watched the ceremony end. Her mother helped her back on the elevator and towards the Pediatric floor. She had worn a hospital mask the whole time because her being on chemo made her immune system barely exist. The smile never left her face as she made it to her room. She couldn't help but smile, even though it may seem stupid.

When Jessica and Jason came in to say goodnight, the doctors decided to discharge her. Then they would start hospice care when their parents had to go back to work. Charlotte was happy when they pulled into the driveway. She smiled and had help into her wheelchair. She then smiled when she saw an accessible railin; she was able to get up and into the house. She smiled as her mother helped her up to her room, a bright smile on her face.

Charlotte looked around nervously as she realized she was alone in her room. She glanced out the window, noticing how dark it was. She let out a soft sigh of relief as she heard footsteps down the hall. She wasn't alone all along. She was thankful for that.

Sounds of pots and pans were coming from the kitchen. She slowly got up, careful not to fall and got into her wheelchair. She adjusted the neck brace and tied her hair back. She gently pushed herself towards the kitchen when she heard a thud from the hallway. She furrowed her eyebrows as she bit her lip. She went down the hall and looked around, noticing it was just Belle. She had jumped off of the dryer. Why was she even on the dryer in the first place?

Charlotte watched as Belle pranced up to her, placing her paw on Charlotte's lap. Charlotte smiled at Belle and pet her gently. "Hey Belle." She murmured, smiling as Belle helped her into the kitchen. She rolled into the kitchen, noticing her mother was going through the cabinets at the bottom. "Mom... why are you doing that?" She asked.

Sara sighed. "I'm reorganizing the cabinets since we are getting rid of the old pans." She looked up at her daughter and smiled. "How are you feeling?" She asked.

Charlotte smiled, putting the brakes on her wheelchair after pulling up close to her mother's side. "I'm okay. I found Belle on the dryer." She noticed the face her mother made and started laughing.

Sara pat Belle's head as she laughed. "I never expected a dog to be on the dryer..." she said to her daughter as she set the pans on the floor beside her. She examined the scratches on one of the bigger ones.

Charlotte raised an eyebrow as she looked at the pots and pans scattered on the floor. "Do you want me to help?" She asked.

Sara smiled. "If you'd like to, but don't push yourself too hard."

Charlotte nodded and smiled at her, slowly unhooking the belt around her waist. She glanced at the pots and then looked at the other set of cabinets. "I could go through the..." She was cut off from a sound of crying. She tilted her head as she looked at her mother. "Mom... what's wrong?" She asked, biting her lip. She didn't know what was wrong and wondered why her mom was so upset.

Sara sniffled as she wiped the tears that threatened to fall down her face. "I-I just miss her... a lot." She mumbled, noticing that Charlotte could see her upset.

Charlotte slowly reached out and hugged her mom from the side. "I know, it's okay. I'm here." She said, holding her close. She felt a vibration from her phone and she pulled it out slowly, reading the message: "in ambulance, on the way to the hospital. -Ashley."

Charlotte silently swore as she held the phone, then set it down on her lap. "Great..." She murmured, wiping her eyes. "Ashley's going to the hospital again." She said to her mom. She shook her head, "I shouldn't worry you with this." She mumbled. She rubbed her temples and tried to keep herself calm.

Charlotte glanced at Belle as she came up to Charlotte and nudged her hand with her head. She smiled slightly. "Okay, well... I guess I'll just wait... until you're done." She told her mom. She turned with her wheelchair and faced away from her mother.

Sara gulped slightly, biting her lip. "I-I can take you later." She told her daughter, giving her a fake smile as she began to put the pots and pans away. She hated seeing her daughter upset, especially when she was also upset. Of course, there were different reasons as to why each of them were upset.