Chapter 15

Charlotte had fallen asleep while laying on the small couch in the room where Ashley was on the bed. She didn't realize she had fallen asleep until she woke up in the room she was last in. She figured her mom must've helped her up on the couch when she was asleep, or even did it when she was half asleep and she just couldn't remember.

Charlotte turned and noticed Belle wasn't here. At first, she panicked. Second, she checked her phone and her mom had left her a few text messages explaining why she left her there, took Belle with her home, and that she had left a bag of Charlotte's hospital stay items. She smiled as she set her phone down and began going through the duffel bag. She couldn't figure out how long she had slept. She checked the time, wondering if she had slept a total of twelve hours.

Charlotte slowly got up, glancing at her wheelchair in the corner of the room. She sighed and slowly pulled out her pump and bag of formula and started everything up to get her nutrition. She relied on the tube a lot due to the fact she lost so much weight in the beginning.

Once Charlotte finished setting up her feeds, she put everything where it needed to go in the backpack and put the straps over her shoulders. She then glanced at Ashley who seemed to be waking up from her deep slumber. A smile formed on both girls' faces.

Charlotte went to Ashley's side and hugged her gently. "I'm glad you're awake." She told her, the girl nodding. Her voice was too quiet to hear what she said, but Charlotte just nodded and cried softly as she hugged her. She didn't know what she would've done if she was dead. She only had her as a friend due to the fact that she struggled making friends. That was the only thing that made her different than the rest of her family. She had a hard time with relationships; whether it be family, friends, or doctors. That was the one thing she wished she could change about herself. She hated being as shy as she was. She slowly got herself out of those thoughts and opened her eyes, glancing at the whiteboard on the wall.

She could see all the words written on the whiteboard. There was a pain rating scale, medications she was being given, the doctors and Ashley's nurses. She shook her head slightly before rubbing her temples. She couldn't believe her best friend was in a state like this. She wished she could do more to help her, but she couldn't.

Charlotte spent a lot of time with Ashley, playing games and watching movies. They played checkers, online games, card games and even some console games when the doctors allowed her to. Charlotte's favorite game was the card game, war. She really enjoyed beating Ashley throughout the game. She ended up getting all of the cards towards the end anyways. The times when Ashley slept, Charlotte would watch a movie.

When Charlotte's mother arrived at five in the evening, she went with her mother to the car. Her mother asked if she had fun."Yeah! We played card games, watched some movies, and even play checkers!" Charlotte said in excitement. She was super happy about her friend being okay. Even though she knew what could happen, she didn't focus on the bad things. She couldn't worry about the negatives, not for a while.

Charlotte and her mother arrived home at around seven o'clock in the evening. Charlotte went into the living room, noticing a stack of mail on the coffee table. She tilted her head as she sat down on the couch and began going through the mail, noticing she had a package in her name and a card from her grandma. She smiled, thankful her grandmother didn't forget about her birthday. She knew the mail ran slow sometimes so she wasn't worried. She opened the card and smiled as she read what it said. She then put the card down with the twenty dollar bill down to the side and went to open the package.