3. edited ✔️

Ringgggg.

Dammit. It has been far too long since I last had to wake up to an alarm clock. Grudgingly, I reach out to snooze my phone. I'd set it at 8am last night knowing Wayne probably isn't an early riser. That should be coast clear for me to get out of the house without having to ruin my day seeing his irritating face.

I have yet to come up with a plan. Frankly, the thought of packing up my stuff and driving away right now did cross my mind. But he was right. Why would I risk my future over him? All I'll have to do for now is avoid him at all costs. If we don't see each other, we won't fight. I won't have to deal with him.

Looking at the sunny weather from the window, I remind myself this is for me. All I'd done for the past few months was party my nights away, and I was getting sick of feeling so aimless. I'm finally 19 years old. This should be the time for me to start thinking about the future. Admittedly, I have no clue what I even want to do. But at least a college degree will further my chances of finding a better job, right?

If I were to return to Bristol... I'll probably be sloshed in a bar, drinking my liver away. That's not the life I want, not anymore. Even though I spent my entire life there, it proved that staying there will be a big mistake. I had to get out of there. And Boston is my only option for now.

With a sigh, I tip-toe pass all the bedroom doors to the end of the floor where the bathroom is. Today's the last day for admissions in the college if I want to start the semester next week. Enough procrastinating. I have to start getting my life back on track.

Just when I thought I was sneaky enough to get to the front door without bumping into anyone, a voice called out from behind me making me jump in shock.

"Good morning!" A very chirpy dude greets me, sitting at the dining table right next to the open-concept kitchen. I watch him as he makes his way over to where I'm at at the foot of the staircase, a friendly grin on his face. He's definitely a morning person. "We haven't officially met yet. I'm Carson Gray." He reaches out a hand for a handshake.

I muster up a smile as politely as I can. He seems nice, but I just don't have the habit of chit-chatting early in the morning. "Kelsey Owens." I shake his hand.

Carson smiles while I stand there awkwardly, not really knowing what to say. Will it be rude for me to just walk out now?

"Going somewhere?" He asks.

"Oh, yeah. Gotta get to campus."

"Ah, right. You're coming to EV too, huh?"

I suppose that is short for Edge Vista, the school I'm enrolled to. I haven't got a clue about much of it other than the fact that it's a sports school—which is why they're the only ones who accepted me despite my disappointing grades. I was never a sporty person myself, but beggars can't be choosers right?

"Yeah."

As if sensing the conversation going nowhere, Carson waves a hand upstairs. "Should I tell your brother if he asks?"

I look at the guy sheepishly. "I would hope not."

After a few seconds of silence, a broad grin appears on his face. "Then don't worry, your secret's safe with me."

———

Here we go, I mutter under my breath as I pull up into the college's nearly empty parking lots. In a few days time, this will be the place I'll spend my next four years at.

If any consolation, at least it has an interesting architecture. The campus consists of five blocks, each five-storey high. Painted white and blue diagonally, they're situated in a round formation whereas its carpark area forms a smaller circle within. Right in the center of the main foyer is a massive statue of a bear with the school's official jacket wrapped around it.