38.

(Cassandra Santiago)

A/n: Because you people deserve better than just one chapter a week ;)

I'm struggling not to write my third book yet, although I must admit I've already wrote the first chapter of it. Damn it. Gotta stay focused!
• • •

"I knew it. My judgements are rarely, or never, askewed."

"Is that so?" I mock. "If I recall correctly, Santiago, you were referring to him as 'lying cow testicles' just a few hours ago."

"That's a complete and utter miscommunication. If big Gray had led his argument with this voice recording since the beginning, we could've spared the shouting match at the hallway."

About an hour ago, Zac sent an audio file to my phone claiming it'd prove his innocence. Even though I tried to delay it, knowing I didn't feel like handling all that crap in the same day, Cass ended up receiving her own copy on her phone and repeatedly played it on loud speaker for me to hear.

"Well, you're not going to take him back yet, are you?" Cass says from behind me. We ended up squeezing on her very single sized bed because Paige came back and is occupying hers now.

Am I going to? I don't know anymore.

As much as I think I believe Zac's side of the story, a part of me still hated that there's always going to be a piece of doubt in my mind. Like why? Why do I always have to catch two people on bed, naked?

This time, it could really be a set-up. But next time? Who knows about a next time? And then, it appears that I no longer feel secured about opposite genders. This time, it happened on one of his female close friends. Next time? A colleague? A professor? A client?

Ridiculous, I chide myself. I really have issues.

"I don't think so."

"Mm," I feel her nod. We are both lying on our sides, me facing the wall. "Wait. With a yet or without?"

"Can we talk about something else?" I groan.

"Of course. If you are a man, what do you think would be a good way to win your girl back?"

I roll my eyes even though I know she can't see it. Silence stretched between us for awhile as we both get lost in our own thoughts. The lights have been switched off a while ago and we've been chatting softly in the dark so as not to wake Paige up from her slumber.

It was really kind of her to open up her room to me. Cass vaguely told me that all she said was that I was looking for a refuge, and she had agreed without second thoughts. As soon as Paige came back in the evening, one look at my puffy face was enough for her to engulf me in a hug even though neither of us are touchy persons to begin with.

I spent the night with the two of them as they try not to bring up the sensitive subject in my presence. Having to fast before the D&C this morning, I was beyond starving and indulged myself in all the delicious food Cass brought back for me. Paige had somehow came back with a few slices of cheesecakes too and that became our supper for the night.

Sighing, I flip to face Cass and sensing my actions, she flips to her side to face me too.

"I shouldn't have broken those damn rules." I mutter, recalling those three golden rules I used to keep bringing up that annoyed Cass to no ends.

"You know I was never a fan of them."

"I just thought about how great it was to be alone, when I never had to worry about being cheated on. It might've been lonely; but at least every night I go to sleep knowing nobody's going to trample on my heart."