27.

Wayne's POV

Zac and I agreed to each drive for an hour. We were both exhausted from staying up all night so it's only fair that we get to catch a short break. I didn't let it go in the car, though.

"When are you and Kel ever going to come clean about what's going on between the both of you?" I ask as it's Zac's turn to take the wheel. We are about forty-five minutes away from Bristol now and the sun is already up.

He clears his throat, evidently uncomfortable. It's a first for him. Zac has always been calm and composed in most situations, and I've already known him for three years. He rarely behaves this way.

"What do you think is going on?"

"Why don't you enlighten me?" I smirk at him. I'm not blind to see the stupid googly eyes they shoot each other ever since the beginning. I knew right from the start that he was attracted to her, but I didn't expect that infatuation thing to last this long.

"I..." he sits up straight, trying to come up with a good enough reply I suppose. "I like her."

"Okay. That's all?" I wait patiently.

"What else?"

"Have the both of you banged each other?"

He almost choke. "Bro!"

"What?" I glare at him. "You think I don't know? You can really be more touchy under the table."

He sighs, not trying to defend himself. "I like her. I really really do."

"Does she knows that? And likes you back?" I pry. I barely know a shit about my sister's life and this is my chance to get involved.

"We haven't actually talk about this. But I'm sure she knows." He smiles faintly, probably thinking about my sister. I'm hoping he isn't picturing her naked in his head or something.

Then, I recall something. "Hold up. So that picture on your instagram recently. That's my sister's thigh in her underwear?!" It's beyond weird. When I first saw the photo, I actually found that leg hot. But now knowing it belongs to my sister is inappropriate as hell.

Zac stifles a laugh and I punch him in his upper arm. He winces. I am a boxer for a reason.

———

"Wayne." My mom opens the door to our family home. She looks tired and aged. It feels like a long time since I last visited her and I suddenly feel guilty. "Who's this?" She turns to Zac.

He diligently puts out a hand. "Zacson Gray, ma'am. I'm friends with Wayne and Kelsey."

Mom takes his handshake. "This is the first time Wayne ever brought a friend home. Come in."

We step into the living room and I can instantly hear the silence around us. It's quiet, eerily quiet. The house seems to lack any trace of joy too, perhaps because there's only two people and a dog left living here. Speaking of dog, I don't see Brocco, our family Maltese anywhere.

"Where's Kel? And where's Brocco?" I question. Mom emerges from the kitchen with two cups of hot coffee that she probably just brew minutes before we arrived. She looks like she barely caught a wink either.

"Upstairs, in her room." I attempt to stand up from the sofa when my mom stops me. "Don't. Let her rest first. It has been a hell of a night for all of us." She sighs, taking a sip of her own coffee.

"I know right." I sit back there. "Do you have a clue what's going on? Why is she even here? She was clubbing last night at Boston with her friends."