37.

Zacson's POV

Two weeks. Half a month. Fourteen days. It took me that long to realize if I didn't start doing something, I was sure as hell going to lose her from my fingertips.

She had been distancing herself away. Purposely. Going all-out-ly. I thought not sleeping in her room at night would give her sufficient space; but she even went to the extent of turning the opposite direction when she so much as chance upon me on campus grounds. She'd often use Cassandra as her shield to get herself out of our usual lunch. And the most ridiculous of all? She actually went out for runs every single day as long as I was hanging around Wayne's house.

This girl didn't even like to perspire, for goodness sake.

So I waited. I dropped her several texts and called her almost twenty times—in which all of it went to her voicemail. I was bordering on being worried and being mad. The last time she was uncontactable, she got herself involved in a car accident.

All these because of two missed dates? I thought to myself. Frankly, I hadn't expect her to be so hung up about it. It wouldn't have been fair to say she was wrong to be upset—she had every right to. But it was just two times. And I had good reasons to do what I needed to do.

That night, I eventually dozed off on her bed thinking I'd wake up to her snuggling up to me. Then hours later, I flunk an eye open and realized the other side of the bed was still cold.

She didn't come home.

———

I am only human.

Four hours of interrupted sleep isn't something I can function with, coupled with the fact that I've been so busy. Finals are approaching in slightly more than a month from now, so that means we are bombarded with mock tests and shits to prep. And then there's drumline practices. Freshmen are always a pain in the ass, especially when you get those who are cocky and think they're the Mr-Know-It-Alls.

Having to graduate soon also means moving on to adulting life. I have been determined not to work in my father's company even though he offered me a high position job. I'd much rather carve out something of my own name than inherit his tainted legacy.

Not forgetting, I have to constantly deal with Becca's needs. Some days she'll need me to chaffeur her, some days she wants me to cook her her favourite beef lasagna, some days she simply needs me to hold her hair up while she puke her guts out. Why I have agreed to basically be her butler is completely out of kindness and sympathy. How do you possibly turn a close friend who's come to seek your help down knowing they're already at wits' end?

So, really, with so many things going on; having to cajole a girl will entirely drain me out if I don't get that third cup of coffee.

I'm on my way to the least populated coffee shop in campus when I just so happen to spot a familiar, striking, red studded backpack that I know only one person uses. Squinting my eyes, I kind of make out Cassandra and Kelsey heading towards the dorm building. Cassandra has her arms around my girl, seemingly supporting her as she walks.

Immediately, I know I have to go to her and find out if she's alright. She hasn't been home last night and was still uncontactable all day. Showing up first thing so weak absolutely does not put me at ease.

And that's when I come face to face with an outraged Cassandra who looked at me like I am the dirty gum under her boots.

"She was. Not anymore."

My head can't stop swirling at the fact that I am just told Kelsey is pregnant. No, she was. Pregnant with my kid. And then at the same time, not anymore.