28.

(Picture of Andrew Miller)

A/n: WE HIT 5K READS!!! It took us 28 chapters to get here, but I'm still pleased nonetheless. Thank you for following IHMB's journey 🥰

• • •

Everywhere is achy.

I open my eyes to see that I'm in my old bedroom. Memories come crashing down on me as I recall the car accident last night. I wasn't even able to check the condition of my car before I was sent to the hospital. Thank god I was nearing Connecticut at that point, and it felt a lot better that I didn't need to have my brother lecturing me for my stupid decisions.

I hear a soft breathing. It's not mine. I turn my head to the right and see a man lying on my couch. I thought I'm dreaming but I pinch myself and it really did hurt. But how is it possible that he's even here, in my family home?

I try to sit up and that's when I feel a dull ache at my shoulder blades. "Ugh," I groan at the pain, causing Zac to instantly whip his head towards me.

"You're awake. Hey," his hands come to touch my arm. He's real. "Are you hurting?"

"Mm," I hum in response. Slowly, he helps me up to lean against the headboard and I finally catch a glance of him. His eyes look sore and tired; the whites in them turning pink. He even bites back a yawn as he sits next to me on the bed.

Despite that, he holds my face with both hands and searches my face— checking. "I'm fine, Zac." I try to reassure him. He ignores it and goes on to feel the rest of my body for any injury. "How did you get here?" I ask.

"Your brother's downstairs." He says without looking at me, his hands checking under my elbow causing me to chuckle. He's so cute.

"I'm okay, I'm okay." I swat his hands off and places it on my thigh instead. "You look tired." I trace a finger under his eyes and cheekbone.

"I'm good. I'm just glad to see you." He kisses my temple and I flutter my eyes shut to savour it. There's a ton of questions in my head but I decide not to ruin the moment. Right now, all I think about is how touched I feel waking up to find him next to me.

"Go back to sleep," he tries to coo me. I'm not as tired anymore, but I know he is. And he obviously wouldn't sleep unless I do. So I nod and snuggle against him.

A few hours later, I wake up and find the other side of the bed cold. He's no longer in the room. I frown, wondering why he left me alone.

I go downstairs in search for any living species or food. Whichever is available. As I descend the stairs, I hear my brother talking to Zac but they instantly stop their conversation when Brocco barks at me and catches their attention.

Must be chatting about guy stuffs. I decided not to pry.

I bend down to give Brocco a head rub. He excitedly stands up on his hind legs and wags his tail, making me smile.

"How're you feeling?" Zac asks me. They are both seated at the kitchen barstool drinking beer at 4PM. That's abnormal.

"I'm fine. Just hungry," I head towards them. "Where's mom?" I ask Wayne.

"Napping." He eyes me from head to toe. "Sure you're good? No pain?"

I nod. "Nope. How did you two get here?" I finally question.

"Short version: the girls called, we looked for you, couldn't find you, I called mom."

I fiddle with my fingers, not knowing what to say. My actions somehow resulted in much bigger things. Had I remained calm and composed, my car wouldn't be totaled. My friends wouldn't have their night ruined. My brother wouldn't have to spend his night driving around for me.