48.

(Picture of Kelsey Owens)
• • •

The moment I saw Ally walk out of my brother's room with her eyes red and her cheeks slightly flushed, I knew things have somehow ended between them.

"Ally," I call out to her as she descends the stairs. I've been sitting with Cass on the couch, trying our best to ignore the undying crowd in my home which I now no longer recognize. Everywhere is littered with drinks, snacks and people. So many people.

But she tries to wave us off, averting her gaze to the ground. She should know better by now than we wouldn't let her go without a fight. So we jump up on our feet, marching to her before she can make an escape out the front door.

I don't know if it's relief, but seeing them having closure makes me feel a weight lifted. Not simply because that things will no longer be as tensed as it was, but for Ally too. When she first mentioned about her crush on Wayne, I'd already made my opinions known. And even though he's my brother, I'd always had the gut feeling that he isn't good for her.

Maybe I should've interfered before things could have gone up a notch between them, but they're adults. And neither of them needed anyone to teach them not to get into what they shouldn't. Just because their relationship did not end up well does not mean this couldn't be a lesson learned.

Instead of picking sides, I decide to just be there for her now then talk to Wayne later.

"It's okay, I'm better now that we talked." She sniffles, chuckling slightly. "I'm just going to go. But don't follow me. I'm only taking a walk." Ally says as she goes outside in search for her footwear among the fifty over pairs crowding the entrance.

"Are you sure? Because we can come with." I insist, feeling worried and hesitant of letting her leave on her own.

"Oh, yeah! We can go drive around, eat some yogurt at Frolio, go to the beach and scream or just do whatever you want to!" Cass perks up with suggestions and her over-enthusiasm. She must've not wanted Ally to feel down, but I wish I could subtly ask her to drop it.

Ally shakes her head, putting a faint smile. "Girls, I know you mean well. I'll be alright, I promise. Keep you updated." She waves her iPhone in her hand.

With a sigh, I nod while Cass pulls her in for a hug. She gestures to me too, rolling her eyes when I stand there just watching.

"We're here for you, Edison. Don't you ever forget that."

———

Wayne eventually emerges from his room ten minutes later, changed into a different t-shirt and berms. I notice him glancing around for awhile, trying to find someone.

"She's already left." I walk up to him at the kitchen where he's grabbing drinks for himself and his friends again.

He jerks up, startled at my abrupt presence and nods stiffly. "I know."

"Is it really over this time?"

Wayne sighs. "Yes."

Knowing he doesn't want to elaborate further, I drop the topic. We are all here for his birthday celebration and I shouldn't be making him feel even worse than he probably already is.

Just then, Zac returns to my side with our gift for him in hand. "Kelsey chose it for you." He shoves the box in Wayne's hands where he struggles to hold with beer cans in them.

"He paid for it though." I chuckle.

Zac has been playing the role of a sweet boyfriend ever since the day I said yes to him. It was unfortunate that the accident came almost right after, but I was grateful to have him around. Plenty of times he was there to help out with things that were beyond me; such as Wayne's hospital accomodations and having to deal with his car insurance.