41.

(Picture of Kelsey Owens)
• • •

Breakfast is silent.

I repeat. Breakfast is silent! How on earth is this happening, I'm not sure. Must be the damn elephant in the room that no one wants to bring up.

Well, lucky they have me.

"Okay, are we going to talk about it or are we going to pretend like nothing happened?" I ask before shoving my slice of grape jam toast in my mouth.

Ally glances up from across me and glares at me while Wayne simply rolls his eyes.

"What?" I retort. "We're adults! This is what adults do, right?"

"The fact that I have to talk to my little sister about who I bring into my bedroom is ridiculous." My brother grumbles.

"Any other girl, I don't care. This is my friend you're talking about! The least I get is at least an update!"

"Kelsey!" Ally whisper-yells. Cass discreetly helps to shift the hot coffee pot away in case the former tries to pour that over my head.

"Fine. Okay. Then let's talk Bianca. Shouldn't we be done with her already? It's annoying."

"If you're so good at this, Kel," Wayne pauses from sipping from his mug. "Why don't you help me get rid of her then? Because trust me I've tried and that woman is like a piece of gum that keeps getting stuck under your shoes."

"Or maybe you've fallen for her, that's why?" I raise a brow at him. He stares at me in disbelief. "The Wayne I know dumps girls as easy as a flick of his fingers. Just block her damn number!"

"It's not that easy." He mutters under his breath.

Ally visibly slouches and hangs her head.

"Alright then! What's the plan for little Kelsey's birthday?!" Drew cuts in and switches the subject like he always does.

———

The clinic granted me a five-day leave of absence but I returned to college the very next Monday anyway. Turns out, having a procedure done is much less painful and heals quicker than letting the fetus bleed itself out. Besides, finals are really approaching and I can no longer risk skipping any more classes if I really wanted to do well.

As usual, I head towards the parking lot to retrieve my beloved car. Everybody hates Monday except me. My classes begin at 8:30 and ends 12:30. We'll have lunch together and then I'm always free to go home and waste the rest of the day away.

That's exactly what I plan to do today, too.

Until I keep walking with my focus solely on my phone and hear someone calling out my name. No, not the deep voice you all will assume. A feminine voice. High-pitched, squeaky yet soft at the same time. And that's judged based on the one word two syllables name this person just called.

I glance up briefly, my pace not faltering, and I swiftly located the source. What the- why is she here and most importantly, why in the hell is she leaning against my bumper?

I speed up my strides and as I get closer, I realize—no, she isn't leaning. This bitch is straight up sitting on my car! Her butt!

The nerves!

Without hesitation, I march towards her with a gigantic scowl that even I can picture without seeing myself. But life's never so kind to me, and I should've known that by now.

"F-ffffuck!" I curse, tripping over a mini kerb that I failed to notice. Goddamnit. How much more embarrassing can I be? Falling down in front of the woman who's been trying her best to humiliate me.