chapter twenty-one ▬▬▬ he's not a threat

━━━━━ ELLIE SAT IN the chair that rested next to the register, her eyes scanned everyone that looked around for books

━━━━━ ELLIE SAT IN the chair that rested next to the register, her eyes scanned everyone that looked around for books. It had been a few months since James had almost ended her life as well as Bella's. After healing Ellie decided she would finally use her license so she could drive again.

After her near death experience she had learned that life was to be lived to the fullest and not in fear. She had managed to save up enough money and by her own car, that would get her to and from work, and other places.

Ellie took her eyes off the customers placing them on the clock watching as it got closer and closer to closing time. Soon Ellie's eyes averted over to the door when the bell rang signaling that someone had entered the medium sized building.

Ellie looked to see a woman standing at the front, she had light brown hair, with a scar falling down her face. A red scarf surrounded her neck, so Ellie assumed that it was used to cover the scar. The unknown woman walked over to the counter looking at Ellie, a small smile resting on her face.

Ellie smiled back, but was slightly uncomfortable. "Can I help you find something?" Ellie asked, adjusting her position in the chair.

Instead of staring at the scar like most people would, she kept eye contact with the women, Ellie was curious to know this stranger as she had never seen her before in her life.

"Uh... Yeah, I'm looking for the owner of this place." She replied, as she scanned the bookstore.

"That would be me, actually. I'm Ellie Newman, the owner. What can I do for you?" Ellie asked, still not sure what she was here for.

"I noticed the sign you had outside. Are you still looking for some extra help?" She asked in return. Ellie quickly nodded her head in response, moving off the seat.

"Yes, I really need extra help. There seems to be more people coming here each day. I really would love to have your help, so you're hired." Ellie said, holding her hand out towards the woman.

She placed her hand in Ellie's shaking it, Ellie removed her hand walking from behind the counter. "My name is Astrid Samuels by the way." Astrid said, informing the brown-eyed woman.

"Well, welcome to the team, even though it's just you and me. Feel free to call me El for short, most of my friends and family do. But, you don't have to if you don't want to." Ellie said, turning her attention to the window as Carlisle pulled his car up to the curb.

Carlisle opened the driver door exiting out of his car. Once he closed the door he made his way to the bookstore. Ellie turned back to Astrid, placing her eyes on her.

"Um, so, you can start tomorrow because I will be closing up shortly once everyone has left. Also, sometime later this week I'll get you a set of keys so you get here before me you can get yourself in." Ellie informed her as Carlisle held the door open for customers that had been exiting out.

"Ugh, if you want I can't stay until closing. Maybe I can help straighten up the books on the shelves or I could put new books up." Astrid mentioned, as Carlisle walked into the store.

"Ah, yeah that's fine. There's some new books in the back. If anyone else is still in here just go ahead and tell them the store is closed." Ellie explained.

Carlisle came to a stop next to the counter looking towards Ellie and the new woman. Astrid nodded her head, she began to walk away from her new boss. Ellie moved over to Carlisle as Astrid stopped in her tracks looking back at the two.

"He's not a threat." She spoke to herself, as she moved towards the back of the bookstore.

Ellie placed her hands around his neck, soon connecting her lips to his, kissing him sweetly. Pulling back, she opened her eyes looking up at him staring into his golden eyes.

"What are you doing here?" She asked him. He looked down at her, taking in the features of her face.

"I just wanted to meet you here instead of meeting you at your house. Even though we'll still have to drive separately back to your house." He explained to her with a soft smile resting on his lips.

"Awe, how sweet of you." Ellie said, walking away from Carlisle and heading over to the first set of bookshelves, she began straightening up the books that had been messed with. Carlisle followed behind her, waiting for her to tell him of her day.

"So, after months of searching for someone to help, I finally found someone. I know you saw her, but I still wanted to tell you." Ellie informed him. Carlisle could hear the excitement filling in her voice, he couldn't help but smile at her. "I feel like we're going to be great friends." She added looking over at Carlisle.

"That's excellent news." Carlisle replied.

Astrid finished placing the new books on the shelves, once she was finished she rushed the remaining customers out of the store, leaving her Ellie and Carlisle. She proceeded to the front of the building, stopping near Carlisle her eyes fell onto Ellie who turned slightly looking back at her.

"I put the new books up, all the customers have left." Astrid informed her.

"Great." Ellie spoke with enthusiasm. She walked away from the bookshelf stopping next to Carlisle who stared at her. "Um, Astrid, this is Carlisle. Carlisle, this is Astrid." Ellie said, introducing the two.

She watched as they shook hands after their introduction. "Well, it was nice meeting you, Carlisle." Astrid paused, placing her eyes on Ellie. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Ellie." Astrid said, walking towards the door.

"Yes, see you tomorrow, and thank you so much for coming in. You're really going to be a big help." Ellie mentioned.

Astrid nodded her head in response, opening the door, ready to exit out of the building.

"Oh, Astrid." Ellie called out causing the woman to turn back and look at her.

"Yes?" Astrid questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"I normally open up around ten." Ellie informed her.

"Well, I will see you at ten, then." Astrid said, exiting out of the building.

Ellie turned towards Carlisle, staring back at him.

"Let me grab my things and we can leave." Ellie said, the blonde vampire nodded in response watching as she moved to the back of the building to grab her things.