chapter twenty ▬▬▬ human

━━━━━ ELLIE'S EYES SHUTTERED opened slowly, she turned her head looking over at the chair where Charlie sat

      ━━━━━ ELLIE'S EYES SHUTTERED opened slowly, she turned her head looking over at the chair where Charlie sat. He had been holding onto her hand tightly like he was going to lose her. She placed a smile on her face, as she looked at their hands.

"What happened?" Ellie asked, causing Charlie to look at her. Charlie leaned forward in the chair moving closer to Ellie all while keeping his eyes on her.

"You were separated from Bella, someone attacked you, they pushed you into glass causing cuts on your face. Then they lifted you up from the ground and threw you back down, the glass impacted your back causing some damage to your back and stomach." Charlie said, telling her the story he was told.

"I just don't remember much of what happened." Ellie lied knowing very well what had happened to her. "How's Bella?" Ellie asked, changing the subject.

"She's doing good. Bells is a few doors down. Last I checked she was still asleep." Charlie paused sucking in a breath of air, then exhaling the air. "I just wanted to check on you before I went to the cafeteria." Charlie added as he proceeded to stand up from the chair.

"Go, get some food. I'll be fine." She informed him, sending her adoptive father a small smile. "If you see Carlisle can you send him in here?" Ellie asked, watching as Charlie came to a stop at the door looking back at her.

"Yeah, I'll let him know you're awake." Charlie announced, exiting out of the room leaving the brunette by herself.

Ellie lifted her eyes to the ceiling as she waited for Carlisle to make an appearance in her room. She shifted herself slightly at the discomfort of the bandages that rested all on her body. Images of what had happened a few hours earlier passed through her head, she blinked her eyes looking at the doorway, where Carlisle stood staring at her.

Carlisle slowly walked into the room, his eyes never left her not even when he sat down in the chair. "How are you feeling?" He asked, getting straight to the point.

Remorse fell onto his face, seeing the stitches that covered the brunette's face and the other bandages that had covered her body. Ellie sighed reaching her hand out for his, extending his hand he placed it in hers.

"Carlisle, I'm fine. You and your family did everything you could to protect Bella and I. You can't hold yourself accountable for what happened." Ellie explained.

Carlisle continued to stare at her, processing her words. "I know, it's just... I was so afraid to lose you." Carlisle informed her.

"And you should be. I only say that because, well... I am human after all. I'm not a vampire. But no amount of any vampire or other supernatural creature will tear me away from you. You came into my life when I thought I lost everything, so yeah, you should be scared but no one can take me away even if they tried." Ellie said, squeezing his cold hand.

Silence fell upon them, but a thought crossed the brunette's mind. "You know what's weird?" Ellie asked him.

Carlisle narrowed his eyes on her. "No, I'm afraid I don't know what's weird." He responded.

"James, he wanted to bite me... just like he did to Bella. Before he could bite me he was thrown across the room, away from me. I think in some way, somehow I did it. I think there might be something wrong with me." Ellie informed the vampire. Carlisle leaned forward in the chair moving closer towards the brunette.

"El, there is nothing wrong with you. I'm sure Edward made it over to you before James could do any more damage to you." Carlisle reassured her.

"Yeah, okay." She simply replied, the conversation ended and Ellie soon found herself falling back to sleep.

A few days had passed since James attacked them, the doctors finally allowed Bella and Ellie to go home. Ellie had to stay in a wheelchair until her wound had healed completely which meant she couldn't really leave the house.

And Ellie hated it more than anything but she got through it with the help of Carlisle, Charlie and Bella. Ellie looked over at Carlisle as they pulled into the driveway of the Swan residence.

"Can't you just carry me to my room?" Ellie asked not wanting to get into the wheelchair.

"No, you can suck it up. Besides, Bella and Edward should be coming out at any moment to go to their prom." Carlisle told her.

Ellie rolled her eyes pushing the door open. Carlisle exited out of his car heading to the back of the car to get the wheelchair. Once he had a grip of it he moved to the passenger side opening it up for Ellie. He picked her up from the seat, placing her gently into the chair.

"I seriously hate this." Ellie mentioned.

"I know you do, but pretty soon you'll be able to climb into your bed and go to sleep." Carlisle reminded her.

"Yay!" She said with excitement filling in her voice.

Carlisle chuckled at her, whilst shaking his head. He closed the door pushing her towards the front of the steps. Carlisle halted at the bottom of the steps as the door opened revealing Bella and Edward. Ellie lifted her eyes to the young couple as a smile pushed its way onto her lips.

"Bella, you look beautiful." Ellie said as her eyes trained on her adoptive sister, she then turned to look over at Edward.

"And Edward, I didn't know you could clean up this nice." Ellie said, causing Bella to smirk at her while Edward chucked at her comment.

"Thanks, El." Bella said as she moved down the steps to give her a tight hug. Edward followed behind Bella heading towards the car, while Charlie appeared at the door.

"I'm ready for bed now." Ellie announced for both men to hear.

Charlie moved down the steps grabbing the front of the wheelchair while Carlisle held onto the back. After getting her into the house, Charlie disappeared into the kitchen to eat some food. Carlisle pushed the human towards her room, once they were in Ellie's room the brunette stood up from the chair ever so slowly.

Carlisle stayed close, ready to catch her in case she fell. Charlie walked towards Ellie's room checking in on her to make sure that she got to her bed okay. A part of him felt relieved that Ellie had found someone that would always be there for her.

Turning away he walked into the living room, sitting down on the couch to watch the TV. Ellie leaned back into her pillow pulling the covers over top of her body. Carlisle smiled, then turned slightly towards the door ready to exit out of her room.

"Carlisle." She called out, and the vampire stopped in his tracks, turning to look back at Ellie.

"Yes?" Carlisle questioned, staring at her.

"Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?" Ellie questioned.

"Sure." With those words Carlisle walked back over to Ellie's bed.

Climbing onto it he moved closer to Ellie, she placed her head on his chest. Carlisle smiled at how close Ellie wanted to be but she didn't fault her as she had almost died a few days ago at the hand of a vampire. Ellie pulled her covers closer to her body, as Carlisle wrapped an arm around her shoulders pulling her closer.

"This is nice. I don't ever want this to end." Ellie spoke softly, but loud enough for Carlisle to hear her.

"It won't, I promise." Carlisle replied back, placing a kiss on her forehead. Ellie smiled, as she slowly closed her eyes allowing sleep to overcome her.