chapter twenty-eight ▬▬▬ a protector

━━━━━ IT WAS NOW January and Ellie had finally decided to go back to work, hoping to get Carlisle off her mind

      ━━━━━ IT WAS NOW January and Ellie had finally decided to go back to work, hoping to get Carlisle off her mind. Over the past three months Ellie had gotten closer with both Astrid and Max, becoming really good friends with them as well as picking up on a few things they did on a daily basis.

Ellie had known about Max being a wolf but she was unsure of what Astrid was. She had figured out that she wasn't human, but she wasn't sure if she was a wolf. She knew that Astrid wasn't a vampire simply because she was warm, whereas vampires were cold. Only one question remained, what was Astrid and what was she doing here?

Walking into her store she turned back towards the door, placing the break sign on the window as well as locking it so no one could get in. She needed to talk to Astrid alone, she turned back towards Astrid then proceeded to walk over to her. Ellie came to a stop in front of Astrid, she noticed that she had been reading a book.

Ellie coughed pulling Astrid out of the book she was reading. "Hey, El." Astrid said, closing the book and placing it down on the counter. The brunette looked at the woman that sat behind the counter.

"Hey, Astrid." Ellie responded, moving closer to the counter, placing her hands on top and holding onto them. Astrid adjusted herself on the chair staring back at Ellie waiting for the bookstore owner to say something. "We need to talk." Ellie said, breaking the long awaited silence between them.

"Oh no, you aren't firing me, are you?" Astrid questioned, beginning to fear what might happen if she was to leave.

Had that been the path Ellie was deciding to go down she would have to protect the human from a distance until she came forward to tell her what she really was.

"What?" Ellie questioned furrowing her brows and tilting her head slightly. "No. I'm not firing you. I don't know why you would even think that." Ellie said, shaking her head as well.

"Actually it's about something else." The brunette said, gaining more of Astrid's attention, though she was still nervous about what Ellie would say next.

The brunette sighed briefly looking down at her hands, a few rings rested on her fingers. It gave Ellie something to mess around with as she prepared herself by asking the question she had been wondering for the last few days.

"Okay, so I've picked up on a few things in the last several days of working with you and hanging out with you. I just have so many questions, and I feel that if you don't answer any of my questions, then you're lying to me about yourself and who you are." Ellie breathed out, getting the words out in one breath.

The brunette pushed herself away from the counter heading around to sit on the other stool that stood behind the counter. Astrid turned herself slightly so she could face Ellie, meanwhile fear sat in the pit of her stomach afraid of what Ellie was going to ask her. She only hoped that it was nothing too devastating that might destroy their friendship and everything she had worked to build up.

She felt that if Ellie had sent her away she would fail her destiny and what she was supposed to do. Had Ellie never been injured by James then she would still be sleeping in her casket waiting for the right moment to come out and protect Ellie. Ellie released another sigh as she looked at Astrid.

"Okay, what things? What would you like to know?" Astrid asked her, hoping the brunette would drop a question soon.

"I know this, you aren't who you really say you are. I know for a fact that you're not a wolf, and you most definitely aren't a vampire. Your skin is warm, like always warm, warmer than mine which is odd. But, you have the same temperature as Max does. What are you really?" Ellie asked, watching Astrid shift in her chair, as the truth started to unfold.

Astrid lowered her head for a few seconds, relief washing over her, as she knew it was the perfect time to tell Ellie what she really was and why she was there.

"Okay..." Astrid breathed out, lifting her head to look at the human. "You might hate me for what I'm about to say." Astrid added, the brunette tilted her head looking at Astrid who once again lowered her head.

"Come on, go on, explain yourself." Ellie pressured, soon realizing that it had been hard. "I'm sorry, I'm not normally like this. I just need to know who I can trust. After Carlisle left things seemed to change for me." Ellie added.

Astrid only nodded her head, however the words still didn't come out. A part of her was afraid that Ellie would end their friendship and tell her to never come back, and she couldn't do that. Ellie was too powerful and once the Volturi would stop at nothing to change her and have her on their side.

Though she knew deep down that Ellie would never go for that simply because she was a sweet person who loved everyone. But, if she found out that her mother was still alive things would be different.

"I'm a Protector." Astrid spoke looking up at the brunette.

"I'm sorry, a what?"