chapter twenty-two ▬▬▬ the law

━━━━━ ELLIE STOOD NEXT to Bella as Edward waited with them

━━━━━ ELLIE STOOD NEXT to Bella as Edward waited with them. The brunette had chosen to stay with Bella until Alice and the rest of the Cullen clan were ready for Bella to come out. Plus she was kind of hoping that Edward would tell her and Bella some kind of story.

Ellie couldn't help but look at the painting that rested on the wall, Bella followed behind her also taking an interest in the painting.

"The Volturi are a very old, very powerful family. I guess they're the closest thing to royalty my world has." Edward explained to the two.

Ellie moved closer to the painting, noticing a familiar face that stood in the background of it. "Is that Carlisle?" Ellie asked, wanting to be sure she was right.

Bella placed her eyes on Ellie then stared at the painting to see what she had been looking at.

"Yeah." Edward simply answered. "He lived with them for a few decades. Described them as very refined. No respect for human life, of course, but a respect for the arts, and the sciences, at least." He explained to them. "And the law. Above all, the law." The vampire added.

"Vampires have laws?" Bella questioned.

"Not very many. And only one that's regularly enforced." Edward continued to explain to the humans.

"What is it?" Ellie asked, looking over at the vampire as she became filled with curiosity.

"That we keep the existence of our kind a secret. We don't make spectacles of ourselves, and we don't kill conspicuously. Unless, of course, you want to die." Edward finished telling them.

"You gotta stop talking about that. I can't even think about someone hurting you." Bella said.

Ellie walked away from the two, she began to wonder what the Volturi might do to Carlisle if they found out about them, about her being a human and knowing their secret. Ellie placed her eyes on the doors as they slid open. She watched as Alice made her appearance with a bright grin resting on her face.

"It's time!' It's time. It's time. It's time." Alice repeated excitedly.

Ellie chuckled, moving past Alice to exit out of the room. The brunette went to search for Carlisle, making her way down the steps she passed Esme and Jamie who smiled at her in return. She made her way over to Carlisle, giving him a side hug.

Carlisle smiled at her, pressing a kiss to her forehead, then wrapping his arm around her shoulders to pull her closer. Bella, Edward and Alice walked down the steps of the Cullen home not long after Ellie had entered the room. Carlisle pulled Ellie towards the front, as Bella came to a stop looking around at everyone.

"Sorry about all this. We tried to rein Alice in." Carlisle said, smiling at her. Esme and Jamie walked up next to the couple.

"As if that were even possible." Esme said, pulling Bella into a hug.