chapter seventy-two ▬▬▬ distant and afraid

━━━━━ ELLIE CLOSED THE door to the bedroom where Gwendolyn was now sleeping

━━━━━ ELLIE CLOSED THE door to the bedroom where Gwendolyn was now sleeping. She released a heavy sigh and looked down at the ground staying near the door. She could feel the fear resting inside her.

"Are you okay?" Carlisle asked, as he walked up behind her.

"I don't know. Is this going to be okay?" Ellie asked him soon after answering the question.

"I hope so. I don't want anything bad to happen."

Ellie closed the space between them and pulled Carlisle into a tight hug. She placed her head on his chest, while Carlisle wrapped his arms around her.

"Nothing is going to happen. Even though it scares me, I feel like it'll be just fine."

"Tomorrow we'll leave and bring in other's who I know will help us. Are we going to take Gwendolyn with us?"

"Uh, no Astrid and Max are going to stay with her. Seth will be there to make sure everything's okay. But I think she'll be in good hands with Astrid and Max."

"Are you sure Astrid shouldn't come with us? I mean she is your Protector."

"I know. I think it would be better if Astrid stayed with Gwendie. We don't know what gift she has yet and we don't know if the Volturi would risk coming here themselves."

"Okay."

The conversation seemed to come to an end, but the couple was still holding onto each other almost like it was their last night alive. Ellie pulled away and looked up at Carlisle with a soft smile on her face.

"You know if it were better circumstance's this traveling would be nice." Ellie said, causing Carlisle to chuckle at her comment.

"Yes, it would be." Carlisle said, he soon paused and stared into her golden eyes. "I love you so much El."

"I love you too, Carlisle."

The brown haired woman placed her hands on Carlisle's neck. She then pulled his lips to hers and kissed him passionately. It felt like their first kiss all over again, but this time with more passion.

After Ellie and Carlisle had their talk, and their kiss Ellie went outside to get some alone time to think about what the coming days would bring. Ellie opened the glass door that led to the back door.

She walked out and closed the door behind her. Ellie walked to the edge of the patio and took her shoes off. From there she walked down the steps and onto the dirt. She walked towards the trees.

Ellie was still near the house, but that didn't seem to bother her. The brunette lowered herself to the grass, and laid on her back looking up at the stars. She needed at least one night of peace before they would leave to gather witnesses.

Carlisle stood at the window, looking out at Ellie watching her stare up at the stars. He was worried about her, and clearly he wasn't the only one. Bella and Astrid both showed up next to him looking out the window Carlisle briefly looked at them. Both brunettes stared at Ellie as she continued to look up at the stars.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" Bella asked, becoming concerned for her adoptive sister.

"I don't know. I think she's terrified to lose Gwendolyn." Carlisle replied.

"She's terrified that her mother is going to be with the Volturi." Edward said, causing the three to look back at her.

"Are you reading her thoughts?" Astrid questioned him.

"No, we're having a private conversation. She didn't want to burden anyone with how she was feeling." Carlisle turned to look back at Ellie with a sadden look resting on his face. "She's also scared to lose her family. Especially when she just got her family back."

"What does that mean?" Bella asked, her eyes narrowed on Edward.

"A few days before the birth of Gwendolyn she had a dream, it was of past and present and Jamie was in it. As it turns out Jamie is her biological Uncle." Carlisle explained, looking at the others.

"That's why she's scared to lose her family." Astrid said the realization hit her in the face.

"El has every right to be feeling this way, she had a rough childhood. I know that much, I mean Charlie took her in. Even before we became close she was always so distant and afraid."

"We'll find a way to convince the Volturi and go back to our normal lives."

Bella walked forward placing her hand on the door knob she then turned slightly looking back at Edward.

"Can you ask her if we can talk?" Bella proceeded to ask him. Edward nodded in silence, soon asking the question.

"She said that's fine." Edward spoke, looking at Bella.

The brunette nodded her head, she pulled the door open and exited out of the house. She proceeded down the steps and over to Ellie. Then she laid down next to her looking up at the stars as Ellie was.

"Why didn't you tell me Jamie was your uncle?" Bella asked, starting a conversation.

"I'm still getting used to the idea of even having an uncle I knew nothing about. I mean how long have we known them and Jamie turns out to be my uncle." Ellie said, looking over at Bella.

Bella turned her head, her eyes landing on Ellie who stared back at her. "Yeah, good point."

"Are you scared?"

"Um. A little. Renesmee, she doesn't really know what is happening."

"Neither does Gwendie. I'll tell her when we come back."

"Yeah." Bella paused, she then wondered about whether or not Gwendolyn had any kind of gift. "Do you know if she has any kind of gift?"

"No, and at this point she may not have one. But I'm hoping that in the next few days something shows up."

"Yeah."

"Yeah. I mean, when I was pregnant with her I looked nothing like you, until she was born. Then it caught up to me and my heart gave out. So what can she do, that does that?"

"Hopefully we'll figure it out in the next few days." Bella said with a smile on her face.

"I hope." Ellie said looking back up at the stars.