{6} MY BEST FRIEND STARES AT ME LONGER THAN IS SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE {6}

As soon as I got home, I went straight for my bedroom. I set my bags by my door and grabbed a pair of sweatpants. I headed for the shower and prepared to be overcome by my thoughts.

I desperately needed to know what was going on with my best friend. She had not only been acting strange since Malcolm came to live with her family, but also ever since my older cousin Thalia had left.

Thalia Grace had experienced much trauma in her twenty years of living, but kept pushing herself harder. She loved to travel, so she was almost constantly on the move. On her most recent trip, she had traveled back to her home state of Pennsylvania. Thalia had said she wanted to reminisce, and I think Annabeth was worried she was going to get herself into trouble.

Not only had Annabeth seemed worried, she also seemed anxious. It was almost as if she was expecting something awful to happen. There was so much going on with her, I decided I really needed to talk to her. I decided to ask her to come over a little early for the movie hang out we were having the next day, Saturday.

I finished up in the shower and got dressed. I plodded back to my bedroom and flung myself on top of my bed. I scrolled through my phone for about ten minutes before deciding I wanted a snack.

I crept quietly into the kitchen. It was only eight o'clock, but my mom and Paul were both already asleep, tired from a long week of work. I grabbed a granola bar, a box of Cheez-its, and poured myself a glass of apple juice.

As I ate my snacks, I thought about how the movie night would go. I texted Annabeth and told her to come over at eleven o'clock, an hour before the actual hang out would commence. She agreed, although I could tell she was confused, even through text.

Along with Annabeth, Rachel, and Grover, I had invited my little cousins Nico and Bianca, and my good friend Charles Beckondorf. I also told everybody they could bring one person too if they wanted to. I hoped no more than twelve people would show up, as that's what I was planning for and already would be a tight fit in my small living room.

I eventually fell asleep, thinking about Annabeth and wondering if our friendship was still as good as it used to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 4-21-18

I woke up Saturday morning at 10:48 A.M. - less than fifteen minutes before Annabeth was supposed to show up. That meant I had less than ten minutes to get ready. Annabeth was almost always about five minute early.

I quickly made my bed, knowing that Annabeth and I would most likely spend our time in my room while we waited for the rest of the group. I scanned the area for any imperfections, spotting some dirty laundry piled by my bed.

I threw the pile into my hamper. Finally satisfied, I rifled through my drawers for an outfit. I grabbed a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and an All Time Low tee shirt.

Just as I pulled the shirt over my head, I heard a knock on the door.

"I've got it!" I shouted.

I ran out of my room to the door. I opened it quickly with a grin on my face.

"Hey, Annabeth," I greeted.

She rose her eyebrow. "Hi." She scanned my body. "You look like a mess."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks."

Annabeth smirked. She rose onto the tips of her toes and ran her hands through my hair. She fluffed it up and tousled it a bit, before finally lowering her self with a satisfied look on her face.

"Better?"

"Yeah," she answered confidently. "But, your shirt is on inside out and your fly is down."

I blushed all the way to the tips of my ears. She laughed, and I took that opportunity to situate my pants.

I turned around and took off my shirt. I heard Annabeth grow silent. Before I put it back on, fixed, I decided to tease her. I turned back to face her.

"You're staring," I pointed out.

She blushed. "Sorry, I was just looking at your...you know. I forgot about them."

I quickly put my shirt back on. She was referring to the scars that were scattered along my body. They had mostly faded at that point, three years later, but they were definitely still there. They still made me pretty self conscious most of the time, especially at the beach or swim practice.

The only reason Annabeth had found out about Smelly Gabe was because of my scars, meaning the only reason Gabe has left us was because of them. On one of Smelly Gabe's casino trips, my mom had brought Annabeth and I to the beach. The day before, Gabe has given me one of the worst beatings of my life, and several scars were fresh. When I had taken my shirt off, Annabeth pointed them out.

"What's that, Seaweed Brain?" Annabeth asked curiously.

"What? My back?" I smiled nervously.

"No, all of those lines. Aren't they scars? Where'd you get them from?"

I grabbed my nosy friend's small wrist and dragged her into the water. I lightly pushed her in, before dipping under myself. when I resurfaced, she shoved my scrawny chest.

"Percy!" she squealed. "You know I am not good at swimming!" She crossed her arms over her bikini clad chest.

"Well, I am. Don't be afraid. I just didn't want to talk about my...scars... around my mom."

"Oh," Annabeth whispered.

I took a deep breath. "My mom married this awful guy named Gabe. He drinks and smokes all of the time, and he made our apartment smell really bad. Last year, he started hurting my mom. I didn't know what to do, and I ran. But when I met you I realized I could fight back. He has been hurting me instead, but I don't care as long as Mom is safe."

She gave me a fast, tight hug. "I'm sorry, Percy. Is there anything I can do?"

I shook my head. "I don't want you getting hurt."

I never let Annabeth meet Smelly Gabe. I cared too much about her safety. Besides, I was coping, and she still seemed to need help.

"Come on," she said quietly. "Let's get started."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was kind of sad...What do you think is going to happen next chapter? I'll give you a hint, Annabeth is going to tell Percy a bit about what's been going on, and someone special is going to show up to movie night. Who do you think it is? I'll give you another hint, Annabeth invited them, and they have been mentioned once before.

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed!

P.s., this chapter name is really long, should I change it? Any suggestions?