{22} I MAKE UP WITH A GUY WHO HAS POOR SPORTSMANSHIP {22}

I didn't anticipate the amount of time it took to find the perfect shoes. I don't think Annabeth did either, to be honest. Aphrodite was insistent on finding the exact color, style, height, and comfort level for Annabeth's "aura," whatever that means.

So, we ended up spending almost another hour in the small boutique.

"Follow me, dearies," Aphrodite sang, making her way to a side of the store we hadn't visited. "Lots to do, lots to do."

I gave Annabeth a look, and she shrugged. 

"She's the expert," Annabeth mouthed.

Annabeth, Lacy, and I followed the said expert to the shoes, while Drew stayed at the counter. I could sense that Drew didn't have the best relationship with her mother. She seemed to want to impress her, and I don't think she really knew how to make an impact on the ditzy lady.

I chuckled as I watched Lacy skipping through the store, stopping to feel a shimmery dress occasionally. She fit in perfectly with her adorable baby face, pink top, black skirt, and shiny black shoes.

Aphrodite had Annabeth sit on a bench and clapped her hands. Lacy rushed over to kneel and put Annabeth's foot in the foot measuring device.

"Seven and a half, Mom," she called.

Aphrodite trailed down the wall, selecting a few pairs of heels, some flats, and wedges. She set them on the floor beside Annabeth and knelt to put them on. The moment reminded me of a similar scene from Cinderella. The thought made me smile, as did the sight of Aphrodite on the floor in her immaculate dress. It was light pink, fitted at the top, flowed to her ankles, and was sleeveless.

The first shoes Annabeth tried were sky high, silver stilettos. I could tell from the moment she slid her feet in that she would hate them. She stood with a weary expression, took a step, and almost plummeted onto her face.

I rushed forward to hold her straight up, chuckling under my breath. 

She furrowed her eyebrows. "I think these are a no."

A couple pairs of similar height were eliminated without being given a chance from that experience. Annabeth tried a few flat shoes, but none of them seemed to match the vibe the dress gave off.

Surprisingly, we ran out of options. We all set off to scour the selection for an appropriate pair of shoes.

I came across a few good options, but I found this one pair that I knew Annabeth would love. They were black, gladiator-style sandals that went about three inches above the ankle. There was no heel, and there were three buckles to adjust the size.

I brought my findings to Annabeth, and her eyes lit up. Everyone gathered back at the bench and  she tried on a few more pairs of shoes. When she tried on the gladiator sandals, she strode across the boutique confidently.

"These are the ones," she stated.

Aphrodite clapped excitedly. "Yay! Those shoes were a collaboration between my personal line and Steve Madden, actually. I should have known they'd be perfect! Let's go check you out, sweetheart."

We all went back to the counter, and Drew checked us out again.

"Glad you were able to find everything," she told us. "Hope you have fun at the dance."

"This is for the dance?" Aphrodite squealed. "Are you two going together? You are so cute!"

Annabeth and I blushed. "Just as friends," I explained hastily.

Aphrodite shook her head. "Maybe for now," she mumbled.

"Do you two go to Goode?" Drew suddenly asked, taking the awkward silence away.