{19} I EARN ANOTHER LONG TITLE AND EVERYBODY LOVES ME {19}

To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I had always known that Mr. Castellan wasn't the most loving father, but I would never expect him to turn his own son in to jail. The surprise was evident on my face.

"I am so, so sorry, Wise Girl," I said, pulling her into a hug again. "What other details do you guys have?"

Annabeth was sobbing again, so I looked to my cousin to provide me with more information.

"Well, the police can keep him for one day before they have to prove he's guilty. Luke got caught this morning, and he's been on the run since Sunday night. They have so much evidence, it's pretty unlikely he'll get released."

I took in Thalia's expression. I had been so focused on Annabeth that I hadn't really thought about what she must have been feeling. Not only did she inadvertently send her best friend to a holding jail cell, her other good friend was giving her no support. She was isolated once again, as Thalia always seemed to get left.

"What can I do?" I finally asked. "I want to help."

Thalia shook her head. "There's nothing we can do, Perce. The evidence is so easily attained, and it's a legal matter. Luke did something against the law."

I couldn't believe it. My best friends, the people who had helped me with everything, were going through a traumatic experience and I couldn't even do anything about it.

I stroked Annabeth's head one last time before she stepped back from my arms and sniffled.

"You need to go, Percy. You have a meet."

I frowned. "You aren't coming?" 

She giggled. "No, I am, but I need to clean up first. I look like a mess."

I discreetly scanned her. Annabeth was wearing plain denim shorts that weren't too short, but not boyishly long, and a black and white striped shirt with sleeves that went three-quarters down the arm. She had her long blonde hair loose and it flowed down her back.

"I think you look fine," I murmured.

"Look me in the eyes when you say that," she retorted playfully, which hopefully meant she was in a better mood.

I stared at her challengingly. "I think that you look beautiful, tear streaks and all. I like when you show emotion, Annabeth. I'm not into robots or sci-fi, you know that."

She rolled her eyes and pushed me away. "Go do your swimming stuff, Seaweed Brain."

I smiled, before running away from the girls and to the gym.

"Jackson!" Coach Hedge exclaimed. "You're on in five! Get your scrawny behind to that bench and prepare yourself!"

I smirked and jogged to the participant bleachers, stripping my shirt as I made my way there.

I heard a cheer and scowled into the crowd, targeting it at my friend group. I saw Rachel grinning and rolled my eyes at her.

I threw my outer clothing into my swim bag and strapped my goggles on. I stretched my arms and legs out, scanning the pool room.

An event was just finishing up. The Goode swimmer scored second place, not bad what so ever. The audience cheered politely, and my second event was called. I strutted to the pool, very confident. My first event was the one I was most nervous for, the fifty meter freestyle I had been practicing since swim season started. My second event was a fifty meter butterfly, which was arguably harder for some, but not me.

As soon as the starting pistol fired, I launched into the pool. I let the water hydrate my body as I sliced through the water, focusing my mind on staying calm.

Like I expected, I got first place. No matter how many times I won a swim event, though, I would always experience the same thrill and adrenaline.

I grinned happily as the announcer stated the times. I managed just under 24 seconds, a pretty fantastic feat.

I sat down on the bleachers and downed most of my water from my bottle. I wiped my mouth and searched for Annabeth and Thalia in the crowd. I saw them working their way toward my friends and family. I waved as they sat down.

At last, my final event was called. The 50 meter breaststroke, my favorite.

I stood patiently at my lane, number three. On my left was one of the best swimmers in the state, Ethan Nakamura, a senior from Manhattan International High School. I quickly looked away, but he caught my gaze first.

"Percy," he called.

"Yes?"

"I heard you girlfriend's been crying over another man. Luke Castellan, ringing any bells?"

I blushed. "Annabeth isn't my girlfriend, but she has been upset lately."

"No wonder, a coward like you could never get a girl for himself."

I scowled.

A coward like you.

"Swimmers, on your mark..."

A coward.

"... get set, go!"

The bang of the starting pistol shocked my body into the water. I wasted a precious moment gathering my bearings beneath the water. As I broke the surface, I heard a voice.

"Go Seaweed Brain! You've got this! I believe in you!"

I propelled forward, finally comprehending what needed to be done. I kicked my legs as hard as I could, using my anger and hatred for anyone who had ever put me down as fuel.

Stupid Ethan Nakamura. Stupid Luke Castellan. Stupid Gabe Ugliano.

I'm not a coward. Annabeth believes in me.

Suddenly, I was speeding through the water like my life depended on it. Within seconds, I was pulling myself out of the pool, shivering.

"Percy Jackson did it! He pulled it off, folks! He managed first place with 26.1 seconds!" the announcer rumbled.

I grinned as the crowd roared. I waved to a couple of people before returning to the bench.

I tugged my swim cap and goggles off. I was drying my sopping wet body when someone hurled into me.

"You did it, Seaweed Brain! You got first in all of your events! You're the new Goode High School swim team captain."

I smirked, squeezing Annabeth's body closer. "That's quite a title, huh?"

She pulled back, smacking my arm lightly. "I'm proud of you."

I grinned, pulling her in for another short hug and kissing her cheek as we separated. "Thank you."

Annabeth blushed. "Go dry off, Seaweed Brain. I'll be with the rest of the group. See you in a few minutes for dinner."

I smiled, waving a little. I went back to my spot where my stuff was. I dried my body and threw my track pants and shirt over my body, trying to ignore the tingles flowing through my body.

I swung my swim bag over my shoulder and headed to the locker room. A few times I was interrupted by people. Some coaches, some reporters, and some students. Whenever they asked for my inspiration, I answered the same way.

"I'm inspired by the three most important people in my life. My mom, my dad, and my best friend Annabeth Chase."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was cute, huh? Next chapter is going to be super fun and happy and adorable, so I might make you wait a few days ;) Sorry not sorry.

But yeah, what'd you think? Leave a vote if you enjoyed it and comment your favorite sport to play, and your favorite sport to watch. I dance and love watching, but I used to play soccer and still like watching.