{24} SOME THINGS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THEY SEEM {24}

"What are you guys doing here?" Silena asked, setting our beverages down. A different waitress had taken our order first, but Silena ended up taking her place.

"We had a late night studying," Annabeth explained.

Silena raised her eyebrow. "Alrighty, cuties. Do you know what you want?"

I looked at Annabeth, who shrugged.

"You can choose," she told me.

"Can we get a medium loaded pizza?" I requested.

Silena smiled. "That's Charlie's favorite," she commented. "I'll go take care of this."

I watched her leave the main area of the parlor. I could tell how much the concept of love fascinated Silena, and how she felt about my good friend Beckendorf. I thought about how their relationship had started. Beckendorf had taken a risk, and he was rewarded with a lovely girlfriend.

I suddenly regretted not taking a bigger leap of faith. Why didn't I specify how I felt about my best friend right when I asked her to go to the Spring Fling with me? Why was I so cowardly?

I lifted my gaze from the closed kitchen door and brought them to Annabeth's face. Her grey eyes were already focused on my own, making my cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"What's wrong?" she asked curiously.

I shook my head. "Nothing."

She furrowed her eyebrows. Her lips parted, but she pressed them together firmly, leaving the situation be.

"So, four more days till Spring Fling," I mentioned.

Annabeth grinned. "I'm genuinely excited. You?"

I nodded. "Why wouldn't I be? I get to hang out with my favorite people for a few hours, eat food, and listen to some music. It's all a guy like me could need."

She scrunched up her little button nose, a very cute gesture that I wish she did more often. "I don't think I'm going to like the music much."

"Yeah?"

"Haven't you been to a dance before, Perce? It's all trashy pop music and gooey lovey songs."

I had never been to a proper school dance before. The only one I did go to, the eighth grade winter formal, I spent the entire time goofing off with my small friend group of the time. I never had gone to one with people I really liked, at a good school.

Technically, I had only been going to the same school as Annabeth for two years, freshman and sophomore. The other two years I had known her were spent at awful private schools that never seemed to want me back.

Annabeth reached across the table to lightly smack my arm. "You haven't, have you, Seaweed Brain?"

I shook my head. "How do you feel, Wise Girl? You're my first ever date to a dance."

I wiggled my eyebrows, trying to distract myself from the fact I had just thrown that out there.

"I thought we were just going as friends," she stated.

Oh, shoot.

"If you're going with me," I said quickly, "you're basically my date. It just isn't r-romantic."

She nodded with a small smile on her face. "Okay."

Silena whirled over with our pizza. "Here you guys go. Enjoy."

"Oh, I will," I reassured, staring at the pizza. It stayed true to its name, and was absolutely loaded with every pizza topping, scattered all over in a very appetizing manner.