{20} EVERYTHING'S COMING UP ROSES {20}

UNEDITED! Please be my personal autocorrectors ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the hardest decisions of my day, maybe even my week, was taking place. I needed to choose between getting the orange chicken with vegetable lo mein, or the beef teriyaki sticks with egg rolls.

As I was relating my inner struggle to Annabeth, I could tell she just didn't see the problem.

"Which would you get?" I asked her.

Annabeth sighed. "I don't know. Listen, I'll get the chicken one, and you can get the teriyaki sticks, and we'll share."

I smiled. "No wonder you're my Wise Girl."

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah."

The waiter came around, and everyone ordered. There was quite a few people in our group, mostly family. It was Mom, Paul, Thalia, Nico, Bianca, and Annabeth. Thalia was twenty, Bianca was almost fourteen, Nico was eleven, and Annabeth and I were fifteen, so obviously we had quite the age range. We still had a blast whenever we were together, despite that.

After the waiter left with a full list of our meals, my cousins began bantering. I listened for a little bit before chuckling under my breath and turning to Annabeth.

"What did you think of the meet?" I asked her.

She smiled. "It was good. You did great. I was meaning to ask, though, what happened right before the breaststroke event? I noticed you got pretty tense after talking to that guy."

"Oh, um, that was Ethan Nakamura. He knows Luke, I guess." I rubbed the nape of my neck. "He was teasing me about you, I guess. It was stupid, he just got in my head over nothing, that's all."

Annabeth furrowed her eyebrows and frowned. "But you got over it."

I blushed. "Yeah, I heard you cheering. It helped me out a lot, actually."

She smiled, squeezing my hands that were clasped nervously on the table with her own minuscule ones. "Glad to be of assistance."

My eyes draped across her body, from her fingertips down her arms, over her shoulders, past her lips and her nose, and finally settling on her gorgeous grey eyes.

It's now or never, I thought, biting my lip.

"I was wondering if you had any plans for Spring Fling," I blurted out.

Annabeth's lips formed a perfect o shape. "Huh?"

I stared into my lap. "Spring Fling is in a week, and neither of us have a date. Do you want to go together?"

"You mean together together, or just in a friend way?" she asked skeptically.

My eyes darted across her face. "H-however you want."

Annabeth smiled. "I'd love to be your date to Spring Fling."

I grinned. "Good, because that would have been pretty awkward if you turned me down."

She playfully shoved my chest. "So, the other day at architecture club, we began studying this new technique for creating models. It's fascinating, Perce."

I nodded with a small smiled dancing across my lips. Annabeth continued her story about a method for building models, but my thoughts were elsewhere.

When Annabeth asked if I was asking her out as a friend or an actual date, why did she seem nervous? Was it because she didn't want to be with me that way? Or maybe she did, and wasn't sure if I felt the same. When she said she wanted to be my date, did she mean romantically or not?