{7} I THIRD WHEEL WITH MY COUSIN {7}

Annabeth busied herself by searching for blankets while I gathered snacks. I grabbed several chip bags, a lot of candy packets, and set out several dips. I also loaded a bunch of Mom's cookies onto a platter.

We met back in the living room. Annabeth had numerous fluffy blankets piled on the floor by the T.V. I put the assortment of snacks on the coffee table.

"Anything else?" Annabeth asked.

I shook my head. "We'll pick a movie or two when everybody gets here, and we can pop popcorn and get drinks once we are ready to get started."

"That's in about fifty minutes, Perce. Did I really need to come over this early?" She smiled teasingly. "You missed me, didn't you Perce?"

I blushed. "Well, yes. But I also just wanted to talk with you. Come with me?" I asked sheepishly.

She furrowed her eyebrows skeptically and nodded slowly.

We headed to my bedroom. She sat down on my bed, and I joined her after softly closing the door behind me.

I looked at her. Her light blonde hair was very curly and a small strand cut across her forehead. Her dark blonde eyebrows were still furrowed. Her storm grey eyes were darting all around my room, drinking in my posters scattered along the wall, staring everywhere except me. Light freckles dusted her small nose and high cheeks, and she was lightly biting her full, pink lips. Everything about her seemed sad and worried.

"What's wrong, Annabeth?" I asked her softly.

Her eyes shot directly to my own. "What?"

"I can tell that something is up. You don't have to pretend with me, you know."

She hesitated, before sighing. "You know that everything at home has been rough lately. Malcolm is stressing everyone out, Helen has been even more enthralled by the twins and all of their end of the year activities, and Dad just had another 'major break through'." She rolled her eyes, scoffing.
"They've all forgotten about me, which is fine, honestly. I can handle myself, and they need time to get their lives together. It's just a lot to handle."

I squeezed her hand, trying to reassure her. I looked into her eyes, hoping that I wasn't overstepping my boundaries.

"Anything else?" I gently pressed.

She shut her eyes. "Besides home and school, you mean? Well, um, I of course have been totally lacking social interactions lately. The only people I've associated with regularly this past month has been my family and you. This hang out thing will be good for me, I know."

Annabeth spoke as if she was trying to convince herself that everything was fine.

"Have you heard from Thalia lately?" she asked me.

Finally, we're getting somewhere, I thought.

I stared down at our hands. "Not since she left for Pennsylvania. You?"

She sadly shook her head. "Hardly. I've been texting her about - um, stuff, and the most I'm getting is really short responses. That's on a good day, though. Typically she doesn't answer at all."

"I can tell you are a good friend, just by how worried you are about her. Just remember that Thalia is an adult, and she can take care of herself. She's responsible enough to do that, even when she doesn't seem it."

She stared at her lap. "It's just that I - I always go to Thalia for advice, and she always helps me with anything. Every single time. But she hasn't been ever since she left, and I think that's why I'm so in my head lately."

"What do you need advice on?" I asked. "I can help. Tell me what's happening, Wise Girl."

She smiled. "I know you really want to help, but this is something that you just wouldn't get."