{23} SCHOOL HAS EVERYONE ON AN EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER {23}

Friday, 5-4-18

"What ho!"

"What ho!" the class chanted.

Rachel sprinted to the white board and scribbled something down. Beckendorf did the same, at the same time. Rachel rushed back and hit my hand, and I charged to the board to write the answer for the next question.

That was Greek mythology class for you. The second to last class of the day for most sophomores, and the best one of the day for most students. Mr. Brunner always came up with fun games that reviewed what we had learned, such as that one. We lined up in two teams and Mr. Brunner wrote a list of ten questions relating to the unit down the center of the board. He covered them with construction paper, and the first one to leave the board had to take it down each time. Whichever team finished first won, and the team members got to choose a snack from the large bucket Mr. Brunner kept.

Sounds awesome, right? That's why Mr. Brunner's class was one of the only classes I wasn't failing before I started studying with Annabeth.

I wrote the answer, ripped the paper off of question number three, and ran back to tag Annabeth in. Our team repeated the process until we eventually won.

The blue team roared with excitement, while the red team wallowed in despair. It wasn't that intense, actually. But it was still a great accomplishment.

I chose my snack and sat back in my seat, where Mr. Brunner wrapped up the class. Once the bell rang, I jumped up and was ready to flee.

"Percy," the teacher called.

I held in a groan. "Yes, Mr. Brunner?"

"Could you stay back for a second?"

I nodded, trudging to his desk. "Did I do something wrong, sir?"

He shook his head, chuckling. "Goodness, no. I just wanted to congratulate you. Not only do you have the highest grade in your class, but you have the highest of anyone taking my class in this school, Percy. That's a pretty fantastic feat."

I smiled. "Thank you, sir."

"As long as you manage to keep this for the final few weeks of school, I will award you at the end of the year ceremony."

I felt my cheeks warming. "You don't have to," I mumbled.

"Oh, Percy, you're so humble. But you deserve it. You deserve to be recognized, Percy Jackson."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, 5-7-18

The weekend flew by in a blur. Not much happened, to be honest. I slept in past ten o'clock both days, and lazed around for the remainder. I texted with my friends a bit, planning a sleepover for the night of Spring Fling. Other than that, nothing of importance occurred.

Monday, on the other hand, was a completely different story. I got held after four of my classes, and let's just say the things the teachers had to tell me weren't as comforting as Mr. Brunner's words.

During Annabeth and my small detachment almost two weeks ago, I had definitely let my grades slip. I wasn't studying as regularly, and had no extra help. I hoped that since Annabeth and I were on better terms, that would change.

As we walked home together, I brought the matter up to her.

"Annabeth, do you mind coming over some time soon?" I asked her.

"Sure," she responded. "What's up?"

I rubbed my neck, almost embarrassed. "I can tell you what isn't up: my grades. We haven't gotten the chance to study in a while, and I've been...distracted. I need some help."