Build Up

Later that day.

«hey, Caleb?»

«what's up?» he replies.

«uhm, do you know what the deal with Finn is?» I ask.

He shakes his head. «I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about.»

I sigh. «well thank you anyway.»

I look around the room and realize that I have to do it sooner or later; I have to talk to Millie.

I make eye contact with her and I start approaching her with a huge grin on my face. «MILLIE!» I yell ecstatic.

«HII!!» she yells back. «what's up?»

«uhm, so you've been spending some time with Finn huh?» I ask subtly and smoothly.

«aha, I guess.» she chuckles softly.

I nod understanding. «so, you guys are just friends?» I ask as I'm tumbling my fingers.

«yeah, we're just friends...» she chuckles somewhat more nervous.

I glance at her with my eyebrows arched. «come on Millie, you can tell me anything. when have I ever broken your trust? I mean, what's the worst thing that can happen, right?» i ask persuasive.

she's thinking.

«I mean, nothing is going on. It's just-» she hesitates and stops.

«it's just? what?» I ask.

«it's nothing.» she says quietly and mumbled.

«I get it if you like Finn. I mean I understand, he's cute. There's nothing to hide.» I softly say.

«I guess.» she mumbles.

«so... you like him?» I carefully ask.

«I mean, he's not like the others.» she chuckles nervously. «theyre like my brothers, but not Finn. Finn is... special.» she says smoothly.

«special?»

«yeah, we're kinda close. I don't know. I see him in a different way.» she shyly says.

«exactly what do you mean 'in a different way'? Millie just tell me, I won't tell anyone else. You know that. When have I ever told someone else? You can trust me.» I convince her.

She looks at me, debating whether she should or shouldn't say it. Silence fills the room up. I could feel how hard Millie was thinking about telling me. It was just about time and patience now. It got more and more tense. I was just waiting for her to burst, for the water to finally spill over. And just as it got to the breaking point, someone arrived.

«hey, whatcha guys talking about?»

Millie jumps. I roll my eyes annoyed and I scoff. Of course.

«oh, hi finn! oh nothing, just some regular girly things aha» Millie chuckles sweetly.

«uhm, ill leave you guys to it.» I walk away.

Oh my god, how does he do that? Like how does he always interrupt me the MOMENT I'm getting closer to finding out what's going on. It's like he has some kind of special power, I don't get it.

I walk to the snacks table where the food is and I grab some grapes and start to stuff them in my mouth.

«What's going on with you kids?» Joe walked to me, and grabbed some grapes aswell.

«What do you mean?» I faintly chuckle.

«I can sense the tension.» he says smoothly and somewhat impassive.