Chapter Fifty-Four

"Kaidan, please," Jay said from the other side of the door. There was a faint sound as if he'd put his hand against the wood.

"Can't I get ready in peace?" I asked, almost snapping.

He paused as if he was unsure how to respond. "Can't we talk about this?"

"Apparently not," I said as I got up from the floor.

Taking a deep breath, I put my clothes in the centre of the room and went over to the shower.

"Babe, please," he said softly. I could hardly hear him and knew I wouldn't have been able to if I'd started the shower already.

I couldn't reply to him right now, I just didn't want to deal with him. By that, I mean I didn't want to deal with his douche behaviour and that of course was another way of saying I didn't want to deal with what I'd said last night. I hadn't even had time to think about it between saying it and falling asleep, and then waking up and Jay snapping at me.

I shook my thoughts from my head and turned the shower on. If Jay really cared, he could damn well wait. I took my time in the shower, as if trying to lengthen the time before I had to see him again. I eventually sighed and turned it off, long done washing by then. Wrapping the towel around my waist, I listened. There didn't seem to be any noise at all. Had Jay gone? Maybe he was downstairs and I could sneak out.

A small towel was on top of its own pile in the stack so I grabbed that to dry myself off with. I slowly dressed, dragging out my time further. After a while I ran out of things to do to prolong by bathroom trip; I went to the toilet, washed my hands - twice, and brushed my teeth. Looking at myself in the mirror, I noted the streaks of black makeup still over my eyes and cheeks. My lips were only a little grey; Jay had probably kissed it all away last night. I saw a bottle of makeup remover and picked it up, searching the room for some cotton wool. I could make this take a while.

When it came for me to finally leave the bathroom, I unlocked it slowly and took hold of the handle, taking a deep breath. I forced myself to relax and opened the door. A surprised gasp was the only sound before Jay was sprawled over the floor.

"What are you doing?" I asked, trying to keep my voice void of any particular emotion.

"I... I was waiting for you," he admitted quietly, sitting up. He had a pair of boxers on now but nothing else.

"By sitting against the door?"

"Yeah..."

I just nodded and stepped past him, going over to my school bag.

"Kaidan, please, come on," Jay said as he stood and moved a little closer.

"Please what? Talk about it? There's nothing to talk about," I replied simply.

"Yes, there is. I'm not talking about what you said last night, I mean about me being a proper dick this morning. I'm sorry, kitten. I overreacted, okay?"

"That's one way of putting it," I muttered, turning around to face him now with my arms crossed.

"It's just... Fuck, I don't even know what it is. My therapist would have a field day with this... I really am sorry. Can you forgive me?"

The sincere look on his face, his wide eyes, and even the damn teeth marks on his lip where he'd been worrying at it, was irresistable. I felt my quickly built walls crumbling as he fidgeted, tugging at a piece of skin beside his nail. I steppeed forward slightly and reached forward to take his hands in mine to stop him from hurting himself.

"I guess so... But just so you know: I don't like bitchy Jay."

His shoulders sagged in relief and his head bowed briefly. He leant down to kiss me softly.