Chapter 20

The only thing I could hear on the walk home was the trees whistling from the wind and our footsteps. The boys were slightly behind me sort of in a triangle so they could catch me easily if I ran away. Right in front of the house I feel a presence beside me. Turning my head slightly, Tyson has started to walk beside me.  “Why are you being so difficult?” he asks sincerely. “Why are you being such an asshole to your mate?” I snap back stopping and turning to face him. Tyson eyes widen and he is speechless. “If you want to be an asshole then take it somewhere else, she doesn’t deserve a mate who doesn’t want to be with her. She’s smart, funny, and so kind. Someone like her would be good for you. Unless you know anything about her you have no right to judge her” I waited to see if he had any abjections but Tyson just kept staring at me with an almost pained face.

 “Either make it up to her or you better have a good dam reason to act the way you are. I love you Tyson your my brother but the brother that I knew would not do this to their mate, the brother I knew would be an amazing mate and do anything for her” I say breathless. “I’ll be in my room if anyone wants me” I say in a small voice before tuning and going inside to my bed room.

Flashback

 “Ty Ty, Come play with me” I beg to my six year old brother pulling on his hand. My family is all on a panic at the park by our house. He looks at our mother and father as if asking for permission. Every time I would see my parents they would always be touching in some way whether it was holding hands or cuddling it really weird, I mean look at all of the cooties. Right now mommy was practically on daddy lap and they both had huge smiles as they nodded towards Tyson.

“Okay one game of tag” he sighs as he gets up and follows me on to the playground.

“Okay!” I say excitedly. “Your it” I say as I lightly tag him and run off. Tysons was always a really fast runner and I barely made five steps before he picked me up and twirled me around.

End of flashback

Tyson

Of course Sapphire would tell Rose that’s we are mate, their best friends after all and did spend half of their lives together. “Man, you found your mate? Who is it? ” Peter asks in unbelievingness. “Sapphire” I mumble. I guess they will know sooner or later. “For how long?” Aaron says in a toneless voice. “Since the day we fought them” I sigh. Aaron shakes his head and quietly goes inside with awanly look not saying anything. Peter and Justin quietly follow him into the house. Not feeling in the mood to have to be around all of them I head to the forest to go for a run.

By the time I get back there’s really good chance that the whole house will know of me and sapphire being mates.  In a flash my jeans and boxers are hidden behind a tree, my shirt is in pieces on the forest floor, and I am running through the woods in my reddish brown wolf. Going for runs calms me down and helps me think about everything that is happening. I can’t even remember the last time I was running in the forest for myself and not class or training. Knowing exactly where I want to go I sprint to a small river a couple minutes from our house.  Looking in the water I can faintly see the splotch of white fur on my stomach before running into the water. I have never known anyone to have a splotch of white or any color on their fur. After splashing around and swimming for a bit I come out of the water with soaking wet fur and sit down on the grass by the river soaking up the sun. Before dad died we lived a couple hours from this pack. We didn’t live with the rest of the pack because our Parents said that they loved the fresh air and mom was always complaining about too many people and it being too crowded in the pack house. When dad died and Rose was sent off to boarding school I was sent to live with our uncle Cody and Aunt Riley at the pack house. Uncle Cody was my mom’s older brother, they were really welcoming. I knew they always wanted a kid but because of things that happened to Aunt Riley when she was younger she couldn’t have kids, so I was like a substitute for one; for the months that I live with them.

It was about four months into living there and although I was nine I understand perfectly what happened. One Monday when Uncle Cody was still working and Aunt Riley was home, I got home from school and an odd looking man that I had never seen before came to the front door, he asked for my Aunt and so I called her down. When she came down I could see expression on her face that clearly meant something was wrong. She told me to go to my room because they had to talk about adult stuff. Five minutes later my Aunt comes into my room baling her eyes out. I run to hug her and that’s what I do for the next ten minutes, I asked her what was wrong but she said it was nothing and that I should get some rest and to stay in my room. She then kissed my forehead told me she loved me and left. So I did and two hours later I found her dead on her bed with an empty pill bottle. After that mom had moved into the pack and had a boyfriend who had a daughter Rose’s age, Grace.  

Flashback

“Honey, this is Rob and his daughter Grace” my mother said to me as they step into my new bedroom in the big house. Looking up I see this really tall man who has curly red hair and dark chocolate brown eyes. The little girl has the same red hair as her father but her eyes are a light gray. “Hi” I say not skipping a beat. “Hi” the little girl mumbles looking really shy. “Nice to meet you young man” Rob says with a smile.  “I’m not young anymore. I’m ten and a half” I say in a matter of fact tone but not rudely. He laughs a little and gives me a smile. “Well me and grace will be downstairs and will let you two catch up” Rob says before kissing my mother check and picking grace up to go down stairs. I am most gag “ewwwwww, mom that’s gross”

“Come back in six years and tell me if that is still gross” she laugh’s before taking a seat on my bed. She pats the bed and I come over and hop onto it to sit beside her. She looks like she is about to say something but then closes her mouth again. She does this multiple times before I say something. “Why did Aunt Riley do that?”

She sighs and thinks for a moment before saying “You know Uncle Cody was killed by Rogues” I nod for her to continue “Do you remember anything about mates?” she asks. “Yeah their like your other half and you will love them and find them after you shift” I respond proud of myself for remembering. “Yes and within finding a mate there is a really strong bond that comes with it. When Uncle Cody died Aunt Riley could feel the pain he felt and felt the bond between them breaking, it was too much for her” by the end of her speech tears have fallen down her cheek. “Don’t worry mom I will always love you” I say as I wrap my little hands around her neck and hug like my life depends on it. Just as fast as I hugged her she hugs I back. “Thanks buddy” she says into my neck.

 After a couple minutes of me hugging her I pull back and ask “Mommy? Why didn’t that happen with you and daddy?” she pauses a moment before saying “It’s complicated” with a small smile.