24

It's around 11 in the morning, and I've just finished cleaning up Harry's mess. The mess he made himself while making a quick breakfast and rushing off to the record shop. He left me a note, telling me to help myself to his left overs. Seeing as he has the tendency to make way too much food for one and maybe even two people.

I just couldn't sit down and eat without cleaning up the mess. Call it a bad habit, but I used to always clean up after that man. I serve myself some scrambled eggs and toast, as I take a seat at the breakfast bar.

After a few bites and a sip of my coffee I see my mom emerge from Harry's room.

“Mom!” I panic, and rush to her aid.

“What are you doing up?!” I scold her as I take her by the elbow. She rolls her eyes at me, and briefly I notice the bruises on her face are disappearing. The thought that this is the last time she'll ever have temporary reminders of her daily hell swells my heart with joy. At least for now.. I ignore my subconscious and focus on my mother.

“Shush, I am not senile Lana. I can't stand to lay in bed another day, especially since it's your boyfriends bed i've been hogging the last four days” she sighs and shakes her head, making her way to the couch, I don't let go of her for a second.

“Mom, Harry said it was fine, don't worry about it” I reassure her once i'm sure she safely seated on the couch.

“I don't like being some charity case Lana, i'm a strong independent woman” she brushes some of her hair furiously behind her ears, and winces instantly regretting it. Guess I know where I got my ego..

“Mom” I sigh and sit beside her, “It's okay if you need help sometimes you know. It doesn't make you a charity case, it makes you human” I take her hand in both of mine and watch some flash of emotion in her glossy stare.

“You sound so grown up” she finally cracks, wiping her tear filled eyes.

“Well you can thank Harry, he's made me realize having a helping hand isn't so bad” I shrug with a smile, and her eyes pool with tears again just as Harry comes rushing in.

“Oh Ms. Monroe, your up!” He beams as he rushes his old brown boots off near the door, and empties his pockets onto the small table by the door.

“Call me Marie” my mom seems to blush as he come over and wraps her in a loose hug. Hey! My subconscious glares and I can't help but laugh. I am not going to be jealous of my mom.

“Okay, Marie” Harry rasps, as he shoots me a wink and I roll my eyes at him. 

“How are you feeling?” he asks my mother.

“Better, though I'm sorry I've hogged your bed the last few days” she smiles, a little embarrassed.

“Mom I told you -”

“It's fine Marie, really. I want you to be comfortable” Harry interrupts me and shoots my mom a grin. I admire the way he's so caring, not just with my mom but honestly with everyone. Including me, even when I was playing hard to get back then. Wow, it's seems like forever ago.

“So how was the shop?” I probe trying not to make my mom feel uncomfortable. She's expressed her feelings about being a charity case, and like me I know it isn't easy to just accept.

“Good, except for the fact that my new manager seems to be neglecting her duties” he raises his brows at me and I hold a hand to my chest in mock horror.

“I'm sure she has very good reasons” I defend trying to hide my smirk.

“You two work together?” my mom questions as she looks at both of us.