37

[Lana] 

When I wake, I try to make sense of my surroundings. The pale blue wallpaper and tiled ceiling quickly get me to the conclusion that i'm a hospital. Well that and the IV needle in my hand – dangling oh so irrelevantly by some really strong medical tape.

Slowly I look around the room, my mothers things sit in the only chair beside my bed and I try to remember if she was there last night when – all shit broke lose.

The last thing I remember before my body shut everything out was being carried outside by a man who smelled of stale cigars, and booze. It wasn't until the sound of the gun and the fear that one of the people I cared about had been hurt – or worse... That's what helped break my shocked trance, but only long enough to run into my loved ones arms and pass out in Harry's embrace.

“Mom?” my throat is dry and my voice tired, not from screaming but just tired in general. “Mom!”

I call out again and this time the door to the small room opens, I lift my head off the pillow and regret having put so much effort into moving when I realize it isn't my mother who wanders in.

“Ms. Monroe” a gentleman about mid 30's in a blue suit and matching pale blue button up stands at my side.

“I'm Mr. Tasler. Sorry to be so forward and ungraciously imprudent but i'm here to follow up and get a statement from you regarding the events from last night” he talks at me, his brown eyes never leaving my still figure laid out in the hospital bed. I zone out not able to take on the task of having to think about anything other than finding out if my loved ones are alright.

“Where are my friends and my mom?” I blatantly ignore his whole spiel.

“They're all fine Ms. Monroe, look I know this is really bad timing but -”

“But nothing – I have been through hell in the last few hours and I don't feel like reliving it just yet. So if you could please be considerate enough to give me some time to get some thoughts together you can come back any other time” I interrupt him as he was taking out a stupid little notepad. The beeping of the machine monitoring my heart rate increasing in speed.

Mr. Tasler opens his mouth to speak but the door opens and my mother sticks her head in. The anger bubbling in my chest begins to dissipate the moment she makes eye contact with me.

Mr. Tasler look sat her over his shoulder and she gives him a wary glare. Looks like he's been hagling her as well..

“Fair enough Ms. Monroe. I'll be in touch” he takes a card from his pocket and places it on the night stand beside my bed.

My mother takes a step away from the door as we both watch him leave.

“Oh honey how are you feeling?” she finally rushes over to me and kisses my forehead, taking my hand, she squeezes it gently. The familiarity of her love soothes the tension in my body.

“Fine I guess, you? Did Ja-” I stop myself from finishing his name, the thought of him just makes me sick. “Sorry.. did he hurt any of you?” I quip, self loathing resurfacing for being completely immobile during the whole situation.

“No, no one got hurt. Not seriously at least, just a few scrapes” she reassures me a warm smile lighting up her face and I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding in.

“Harry? And his family” I question, matching her gaze and she smiles deeply, making my cheeks warm slightly.

“Harry's okay, he's actually getting his discharge papers and should be here shortly” she brushes my hair away from my face as if prepping me to look my best for him. I silently thank her for it because I probably look like shit, I just don't have the strength to do anything about it. “And Anne and Gemma are with him, they've also been eager to come and check on you but you've been out for a while” she laughs slightly.