2

Madison

"Maddie what the bloody hell?" Were the first words out of John's mouth when I walk into Earl's. It's a retail store where you can buy anything and everything music related. I find myself here often.

"Nice to see you too," I joke to my friend. I walk over to where he is at the register.

"I can't believe you recommended me to a band," he says.

"John, you're good. You deserve to be heard," I argue.

"I just dabble,"

"So? They were looking for a bassist and you're the best one I know,"

"I'm the only one you know,"

"Exactly," I give him a cheeky smile. "I know you're not really mad at me," I tell him. I can see him trying to suppress a smile.

"I just would have liked a heads up before Freddie comes storming in here demanding I audition for them," John leans in closer and whispers, "Do you know how extra he is?"

I laugh. "I do. We bonded last Friday. I find him rather charismatic,"

John runs a hand through his long brown hair. "He was extremely nice don't get me wrong, but I'm just... me,"

"And you are perfect," I tell him. John always doubts himself and it makes me feel awful. He honestly is an angel. "Maybe this can break you out a little,"

"Out of what?"

"Your shell, Deaky. I've been trying to get you to hang out with me for weeks at this club and you never do. Maybe this is a good thing! And I'll be there your first show if you decide to actually do it,"

John sighs heavily. "I have until tomorrow to decide, otherwise they're going without a bassist for their first show," he says.

"Well call me if you do decide to do it," I tell him, backing away from the counter and towards the door. "And call me if you don't,"

I grin to myself as I walk out of Earl's.

...

The bar is crowded as usual. I go to my usual spot at the bar, sipping at my drink. 

"Anxious?" Michael asks me. 

I shake my head. "Not a bit," I reply, knowing damn well that's a lie. 

Of course I'm anxious. The moment John told me he agreed I've been worried sick. He's always been so shy and precious that I fear he is going to get stage fright or be scarred if something goes wrong. Deep down I know he will be fine, more than fine actually, but there's always going to be that motherly instinct in me when it comes to him.

The band walks out on to the stage, the crowd cheering and clapping. I finish off my drink, and leave the bar, pushing through the crowd until I can see the band clearly. I usually stand in the back or off to the side where it's not as crowded. Being up close is definitely an interesting experience. 

"Hello everybody," the guitarist, Brian, says. "We've got a few - uh - few fresh faces," He beckons to John. "This is John Deacon on bass guitar," John raises a hand to wave. I smile form ear to ear. "And our new lead singer, Freddie Bulsara," Brian says, stumbling over Freddie's last name. 

"That's right," Freddie says, barely audibly. 

"Obviously I'm Brian. And - uh - Roger of course, the biggest member of them all," Brian continues, pointing to the drummer. 

"Hi Roger!" a couple girls in the audience cheer. 

Roger is somewhat of a ladies man. I've always found him attractive, but I would never go home with him after a show. Most girls would find me crazy, and most girls would and have. I don't play that game though. 

"Hello all you beautiful people," Freddie says, into the microphone.

The crowd goes silent until one boy in the back, wearing a checkered shirt, shouts "Where's Tim?"

"Who's the paki?" another guy shouts. I can't see his face, but if I could I would go over there now and hit him where the sun don't shine. 

"Ready, Freddie?" Roger says quietly. 

Freddie turns around and gives him a nod. "Let's do it," he says.

Brian starts by strumming a note on his guitar which leads to Roger and John coming in. Freddie picks up a tambourine, and hits it against his leg as he goes to take the microphone out of the stand. The only issue is, it didn't budge. Freddie pulls a couple more times, finally yanking it and breaking the stand in half. Rather than wallow in misery on stage, Freddie owns it and I find myself in awe with how well he works with it despite the few laughs and strange stares coming from the audience. 

Once Freddie starts singing though, everything comes together. The way the band sounds together captivates me and I'm in awe the entire time. Something about this band is special.

By the end of the show I am in a rush. The music fills me and it engulfs me in it's glory. I love it.

I find myself out the doors in the back as soon as the band leaves with their equipment. 

"John!" I yell, smiling like a fool when I see him. He turns around to me and gives me a huge grin. I run into his outstretched arms and give him a hug. "You did amazing!" I whisper in his ear.

"It was so exciting," he admits.

We let go. I forgot there were others around us for a moment. 

"Your friend did great," Freddie says, giving me a smile. He leans in for a hug as well. 

"As did you," I tell him.

Freddie and John turn to the two other men who I've never met.

"Maddie, this is Brian," John introduces us. I shake hands with the tall curly haired man. "And this is Roger," I then shake hands with the blonde. He holds on to my hand a little longer than expected, but I brush it off. 

"You're the one that recommended John to Freddie I'm assuming," Brian says to me.

"I am. We've been friends for a little while and I thought he'd be a perfect fit," I tell him.

"Well you were right," Brian tells me with a grin. "You know, we were a little down after Tim left but I feel pretty confident with these two," he gestures towards Freddie and John.

"I have a feeling you guys are going to do great things. Call it a hunch but I cant help it," I say.

"We thought we would do great things with bloody Tim but look how that turned out," Roger snaps. I can tell he is still bitter over his leaving so I don't take it personally.

"Ignore him," Brian breathes. I give him a look as if to say 'it's okay'.

"Tim leaving might have been the best thing to have happened to you," I tell the blonde haired boy. He gazes at me. 

"How can you be so sure?"

"How can you not?"

Roger stares at me, his mouth slightly ajar. I think I stumped him and I take it as a personal victory. I redirect my attention back to Brian who clears his throat. 

"You know, we're having a party tomorrow night at mine and Rogers place," he says, shifting on the balls of his feet. "You're more than welcome to come. We'll have Freddie give you a ring with our address,"

I like bars and pubs, clubs sometimes,  but parties aren't normally my scene. I take a moment to pause, debating if I want to. A majority of me says no but I want to support John and the new friends I'm making. I'll never see what happens if I don't go after all. Besides, John needs the support and if I go he has to.

"I'd love to," I say.