41. Elevator

Y'all so I posted a new story called Let's Hurt Tonight. It's a Harry Styles fanfic so if you want to check it out, it's out there :)

...

Madison

I'll admit it. I was a little peeved when I saw Roger just up and left. He left some malarky note saying him and the boys had to take care of something. I know them though. They don't get anything done before noon unless they're up all night prior, and Roger was gone well before 10.

The minute he came waltzing in the door, I knew something was up. John was by his side and the two were giddy beyond belief, smiling and laughing about who knows what.

"Hi," I say to the both of them. They smiles and Roger comes over to me immediately, picking me up and spinning me around. He makes me forget all about being annoyed he left this morning. I know he wasn't up to anything bad, I just like to be in the loop.

"Hello," Roger whispers. He sets me down and pecks me on the lips.

"Hello Maddie," John chirps.

"You two are rather chipper today. Where'd you head off to?" I ask, grasping Roger's hand in mine. 

"Grocery store," John says. 

"With no groceries?" I look up at Roger. His mouth is slightly agape. 

"Well - you know - we, uh, couldn't find the milk," Roger says. He scratches the back of his next with his free hand. 

The annoyance I felt earlier has now resurfaced. I let go of Roger's hand. 

"Milk?" I ask. "Listen, I don't care where you went, I just want you to be honest with me," 

Roger sighs heavily and puts his hands on my shoulders, turning me to face him. 

"I can't tell you where we were because it's supposed to be a surprise. In time you'll know, I promise," Roger explains. I still have questions but I decide not to press him further. He told me what I wanted and that's all I can really ask for. 

"Okay," I say, my voice a lot quieter than I anticipated. 

Roger kisses the top of my head. 

"You'll see," he says. "Now come keep me company while I pack, my love,"

...

Roger

With our interview nearly four hours away, we decided to just rent a couple hotel rooms and call it a day. I wish Maddie could have come. We all wish our girls could have come. Unfortunately, however, none of our schedules matched up to one another. Veronica and Maddie have school they can't miss this time, Mary is visiting her father, and Chrissie has a job interview. It'll be nice to just be with the boys though. The four of us haven't been alone in a while. 

"For Christ's sake, Roger, what did you pack?" Brian asks when I load my luggage into to back of the car picking us up. 

"All the essentials," I reply.

"It's probably all pictures of Madison," Freddie jokes. 

"Oh shut it," I say, my face heating up. 

"Any idea when you're going to pop the question, Rog?" John asks when we load into the car. Our driver takes off, the car whizzing through town. 

"Good question..." I say, trailing off while I stare out the window. "Soon. Maybe when we get back," I turn to look at them all. "I'm waiting for the moment to be right. I can't afford to fuck it up,"