62. Worth It

AHH I'm sorry. I've been in a really bad slump lately so excuse me lol if I take forever to update, it's not because I forgot or because I'm not working on it but usually it's because I'm perfecting a chapter. I wouldn't put this out unless I was 100% satisfied so here we go :)

...

Madison

Beads of sweat dot my forehead, slowly falling down my cheeks. I exhale heavily. I thought I was in pain once when I was younger when I broke my arm after falling out of a tree I was trying to climb. But that doesn't even compare to this. This is unbearable

"You're doing great, Maddie," Roger tries to soothe me, his voice sounding strained. 

"This bloody baby better be worth it," I say through gritted teeth. 

I squeeze Roger's hand hard in mine as both my doctor, Dr. Fields, and the nurse in the room chuckle at my commentary. 

"Once your baby boy is out, I can promise you that this will all be worth it," Dr. Fields say. 

She peers at me from where she is sat at the edge of the hospital bed, right in front of my spread legs. I feel horribly exposed but honestly I could not care less. If there is one thing I have learned about pregnancy it's that I have grown significantly more comfortable with people seeing my nether region. 

"Did you call everyone?" I ask Roger, trying to take my mind off of the excruciating pain I feel right now. 

"I did, love. The boys are all here with Chrissie, Veronica, and Mary. I believe my sister, mum and dad are either on the way or here already, as are yours. I'm not sure about your brothers but your mum said she would take care of telling them," he tells me. 

I nod. I know he told me that earlier when he came into the room but I need the reassurance. My mind is so foggy right now that I am desperate to focus on anything else, even if it means talking about things I already know the answer to.

"Okay good," I respond. "Paul's not here right?"

I turn to face Roger, a smug look growing on his face. 

"Nope," he responds, popping the 'p'. "Told Freddie that he wouldn't get to hold our child if he brought that twat with him,"

I grin. 

"I love you," I tell Roger. 

His lips pull up into a smile and he leans down and plants a kiss on the top of my head. 

"I love you too," he whispers. 

I get another sharp pain by my uterus causing me to screw my eyes shut. God, this feels like it has been going on forever. I would do anything for the pain to stop.

"Okay, Maddie, we're going to start pushing okay? The baby is making his escape," Dr. Fields tells me with a grin. I've been in labor for approximately twelve hours now and although I have had time to mentally prepare for this moment, I still feel nervous. "On my count, okay? One...two...three,"

It feels odd to push a small human out of me. It's beyond painful - so painful in fact I practically see stars and I know Roger must feel the same from how hard I am squeezing his hand. 

Dr. Fields and Roger give me words of encouragement as I push. I appreciate their help but it does little to actually motivate me. In fact I can barely focus on them because of the odd sensation my body is feeling. Their voices are muddled but eventually my senses come back to me when I hear a faint cry and a sense of relief when our baby is out. 

I fall back on the pillow, releasing Roger's hand in the process. Dr. Fields has Roger cut the umbilical cord and the nurse in the room then takes our baby to clean him up while Dr. Fields does her best to wipe me down.