34. Rhapsody

Madison

"What's that one called?" Roger asks me, pointing up at the night sky to a constellation. 

"That's Orion," I tell him. "And in the middle - see where those three bright stars are in a line? - that's Orion's Belt. It's my favorite constellation,"

"Well then it's my favorite too,"

I smile, and nestle further into Roger's side. The two of us lay on the grass outside, staring at the stars. 

"What about that really bright star right there?" Roger points up directly above us. 

"That's actually not a star. That's Venus,"

"How can you tell if it's a planet or a star?"

"Stars light gets bent by the Earth's atmosphere," I say. "Planets also move in complicated patterns with respect to the stars,"

Roger pulls me closer to me and kisses my temple. 

"I don't know what any of that means but I love you," he tells me gently. 

I laugh and snuggle further into his side. I rest one of my hands on his chest. He grasps it with his other hand, interlacing our fingers. 

As we're laying here, I find my mind wandering to all these different thoughts. Thoughts of the future, thoughts of the past, and everything else in between. 

"Hey Rog?" I ask. 

"Hmm?" 

"When you're done recording this album, do you want to - I don't know - meet my family?" Roger doesn't answer at first so I panic slightly. "It's just I've told them all about you and I was thinking of visiting them soon because I haven't seen them in ages and I thought maybe you could come?"

"I'd love that," Roger says after a moment of silence. "Do you think they'll like me?"

I giggle. "Yes, Rog, I do. Just be your charming self. No locking yourself in cupboards.."

"That was a one time thing," 

"Okay. Sure it was," I reply sarcastically. 

"You know," Roger says. "You'll have to meet my family too," 

My stomach flips. I knew if Roger and I continued to get serious with our relationship, meeting his family would have to happen eventually. I just haven't been able to mentally prepare for it yet. 

"We should just do it all at once," I joke. "Like ripping a band aid off," 

I was expecting Roger to disagree and joke around with me, but he doesn't. He does the exact opposite.

"That's not a bad idea," he says. 

"Rog-"

"No think about it. It really is like ripping off a band aid. We could have a big dinner with both our families. It'll be nice," 

I sigh. "I was kidding," I mumble. 

"If you're really opposed we don't have to,"

I tilt my head to look up at Roger the best I can. I lean forward and kiss his jaw. 

"Let's do it," I say to him. "What's the worst that could happen?" 

...

The next day I'm up early. Much earlier than usual. But I woke to piano music being played throughout the house/studio. Roger is out cold still, so I carefully free myself from the sheets and pad around until I find Freddie playing this wonderful song in one of the music rooms. 

"That's lovely," I say from the doorway when he stops to write down something on a piece of paper in front of him. 

Freddie turns to face me.

"Thank you, darling. Would you like to listen to what I have so far?" he asks. I nod and walk into the room, curling up on a chair.

Freddie starts up again from the beginning. The piano is beautiful and his lyrics are definitely mysterious. Something about killing and man and how nothing really matters. It sounds like depression to me, but in a strangely beautiful and artistic way. 

"I don't know what to call it yet," Freddie tells me once he's finished. "Granted it's not complete yet. It's going to be so much more than anything we've done before, darling,"

"Rog had mentioned the opera?" I say. 

Freddie looks at me curiously. "It's so much more than rock and roll. I want to tell a story,"

"You want to tell a rhapsody,"

"A what?"

"A rhapsody," I repeat. "It's a movement work, with free-flowing structure and many different tones and variations,"

"I know, darling, but the word. That's what it is. A rhapsody," Freddie eagerly writes on those sheets of paper in front of him. 

I strain my neck to see what he is writing. "Is that the title of your song?" I ask.

"Not yet," Freddie says. He looks back at me. "What kind of rhapsody would you call it?"

I sigh. "I don't know, Freddie. I suppose I would need to listen to the final product,"

Freddie points at me with his pen. "Then you're not allowed to leave, darling. Not until I've finished this song," 

"But Paul-" I go to argue but Freddie cuts me off. 

"Don't worry about him. I'll take care of it. This is important,"

I laugh. "I'm not sure my presence is that important," I tell him. 

Freddie turns his whole body so he is facing me directly. He looks at me with a serious face. 

"Don't say that, love," he says. "You along with Mary, Chrissie, and even Veronica are what keeps us sane. The inner workings of Queen are more important than the show we put on,"

I smile. If that came from anyone else I would call bullshit. But knowing that Freddie said it, leads me to believe that it's true. Performing is Freddie's love. I didn't think anything was more important to him. But now I know something is. 

"You're something else, Freddie Mercury," I tell the man. He gives me a grin. 

"Now, if you're going to stay then you must hear what else I have planned for this so-called rhapsody," 

Freddie claps his hands excitedly and stands up. I scurry after him and out of the room. I have a feeling today is going to be a long day.