31. Rockfield Farm

Lol so I babysit once a week (5 kids and it's TORTURE) anyways today they're all napping right now and I literally couldn't be happier. 2 and a half more hours until I can leave. Hopefully they stay asleep until then. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk xoxo

...

Roger

I step out of the car, adjusting my sunglasses, and take a look at the sight around me. We were told the studio would be away from distractions, but I didn't realize they meant it would be in literal bumblefuck nowhere.

"Recording studio," I mutter. I take a step forward, mud getting all over my shoes. I seem to have dresses slightly fancier than I should have, with my good shoes and favorite jacket.

"Well the idea was to get away from all distractions," Brian mumbles next to me.

I'm distracted. I'm distracted by how deserted we are. This is bullocks.

I huff as I gather my luggage from the car. Paul shows us all inside to our rooms so we can get acquainted for a bit.

"Roger you're in here," Paul says, gesturing to a room to my left.

"Right," I sigh, walking inside.

It's not awful. The beds a little springy and I swear dust comes out of it when I plop my luggage on top of it. The dresser creaks a little when I put my clothes in but it's useable. I just don't know how I'll survive the next couple months.

Within a couple of hours I'm on the phone with Maddie. There's one phone in the whole studio, and I snatched it the minute I found it. It was dangling from its cord behind this shelving unit. I pulled it out slightly and pulled up a chair so I could talk.

"I miss you," I say to Maddie.

She laughs. "It's been less than a day," she tells me.

"I'm still allowed to miss you," I mumble.

"Of course, Love. You know I miss you too,"

I sigh and run a hand through my hair.

"Do you have any plans for the night?" Maddie asks me.

"Not really," I answer her. "Freddie's writing a song right now. A ballad of sorts you know," I drop my voice down low. "Paul's been hanging near him while he writes it. It's a love song,"

"What are you getting at Rog?"

I sigh.

"Nothing I suppose," I respond. Maybe it's all in my head. "He's just a schmooze you know,"

Maddie laughs. God I wish she was here.

"Just focus on you. Don't pay attention to Paul or if he hangs out with Freddie or not. It'll drive you mad. It already has..," she tells me. "Have you started writing anything?"

I scratch the back of my neck, and lean my head against the wall.

"Kind of..." I say trailing off, thinking about my car song. "It's a work in progress,"

"Well I can't wait to hear it," Maddie tells me. "Listen Roger, I love you but I need to go. Mary and I are going out to get our nails done. A little girl time,"

"Of course," I say, feeling vulnerable that she needs to leave. I get it though. I love how she's so close with Mary and Chrissie. And now Veronica too. "I love you," I say quietly.

"Call me tomorrow?"

"I will," I promise her.

We exchange goodbyes and hang up. I sigh as I stand, and I go to one of the other rooms in the studio to hopefully write a little more. However, I'm distracted by Brian and John playing an intense game of scrabble.

"Care to join Rog?" Brian asks me as I sit on the couch and watch them. I shake my head.

"Maybe next round. You've already started this one," I say.

"It's about to be over," Deaky mutters. "Brian's unbeatable. Can't win against the astrophysicist,"

"I'd like to see you go up against Maddie," I say with a laugh. It might have come out as a joke, but I definitely would love to see that. They're both insanely smart so the scores would be outrageous.

"I'll take that challenge," Brian says, putting a word down that causes Deaky to sulk.

"I can't come back from that," he sighs.

I laugh as I watch these two goons try to out-word each other during this game. I'm so intrigued by it that I join the next round, and the next couple following. Even Freddie comes at one point. He looks disheveled as hell but he seems happy to see us. Must have gotten a bit too into writing and needed a break.

"I need advice," John says after a couple games of scrabble.

My stomach rumbles signaling I'm hungry. What time even is it? It's been dark outside for ages. Who knew scrabble was so investing.

"What kind of advice?" Brian asks. He puts all the letters back in this velvet bag and puts it on top of the board. We'll most likely be back to play again.

"Girl advice," John mumbles.

Oh now he is speaking my language. I scoot over closer to him and sling an arm around his shoulders.

"Johnny boy I am here to help," I say. Freddie whacks the back of my head, causing me to take my arm away from John. "Hey!" I yell. Freddie sits on the floor in front of us.

"Is this about Veronica? Because you've both been drooling over each other since you met," I ask.

"No we haven't," John says shyly.

"You have too, darling. I thought the first time you met her you were going to drop your pants down and say 'take me now'," Freddie interjects. Brian and I snicker.

"Fine. I won't ask for advice," John says, standing up.

"Oh lighten up, Deaky. It's humor," Freddie says as John walks towards the door.

"And factual," I mutter but not loud enough for John to hear.

"What can we help you with John?" Brian asks. John shifts on both his feet and comes back further into the room, sitting down on a chair near the door.

"It is about Veronica," Deaky sighs. He looks distressed. "We've gone out on a couple dates and we've hung out a lot and I think I want to ask her to make it official," 

"Deaky!" Freddie yells. 

John's face turns red. "I just don't know what to do because I've gotten so close to Veronica over the past couple months," 

"Ask her to be your girlfriend," I say bluntly. 

"I would want a grand gesture and I just don't know how to do it,"

Freddie makes an exacerbated sound. "My darling," he says. "Do it through song,"