6

Roger

The lads and I walk into Earl's to meet up with John. We were going to call but he is awful with answering so we thought it was best to physically find him.

A bell rings when we enter and we are greeted with the sound of a guitar playing.

"Madison, darling, I didn't know you would be here?" Freddie says, excitedly. That's a lie Freddie, of course we knew she would be here. Deaky told us himself she's always there. 

My eyes find the girl. She's dressed in jeans and a red bell sleeved shirt. She suddenly stops playing when she notices us.

"I came to visit Deaky during my free time," Maddie says, putting the guitar back on its stand and walking over to greet us.

"Which is all the time," John huffs. Maddie rolls her eyes and Freddie gives her a hug. Then she smiles at Brian and I.

"Oh hush," Maddie says to John.

"I think you come more for the guitars than me," he complains.

"I can't afford one so naturally I will be in here when I can. Plus you're here so it's a win win,"

"You don't own a guitar?" Brian asks.

Maddie shakes her head. "No. Never have,"

"How'd you learn how to play?"

"She's a natural. Can pick up any instrument and play anything," John chimes in.

"That's amazing," Freddie says.

"Thanks," Maddie says, quietly. "So what brings you in today?"

"Ah yes," Freddie says, clasping his hands together. "I came to ask John over here when he is free for practicing. We got called back this weekend,"

John, Freddie and Brian start discussing practice plans, but I can't get my eyes off the girl that walked to the back of the store. My feet guide me toward her before I can even process it. I watch Maddie as she runs her hands over a dark brown guitar.

"That's a nice one," I say. She jumps and turns to face me. "I like the color of it,"

She nods. "It's my favorite in the store," she says softly.

I move slightly closer to her, but keep a respectful distance away from her.

"I - uh - I just wanted to say I'm sorry about the other day. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot and I feel like we did and I was wondering if maybe you wanted to start over?" I say, stuttering over my words.

Brian, Freddie, and John had recommended that I try to smooth things over with her. It just feels foreign to me to work so hard for a girl. I just don't know what this feeling is in me and I need to satisfy it somehow.

Maddie sighs and smiles slightly. "I'd like that," She says.

I hold out my hand to her and she takes it.

"I'm Roger Taylor," I say.

"Madison Kayle," she tells me.

"How about I buy you a drink this weekend at the show?"

Maddie bites her lip and looks down at the ground before up at me again. I'm more and more attracted to her every time I see her.

"That sounds lovely," she says.

"Oi, Rog," Brian says from the other end of the store. I turn to face them, narrowing my eyes. "We're going to get set up. John's coming over after his shift,"

Good timing, Brian.

I turn and give Maddie one more smile before touching her arm, and then turning to leave. We give a final wave before we walk out of the store.

"Did you make amends?" Brian asks as we walk down the street to my van.

"Yeah, I think so," I say. "I'm buying her a drink next show,"

"Just a drink? Or a drink drink,"

I roll my eyes. "Just a drink, Brian, lay off,"

"She's special, darling. Don't fuck this up," Freddie tells me.

"It's not like I'm looking to date her," I snap. "I don't date,"

"Well you sure as hell are chasing her," Brian adds. We climb into my van once we reach it. "You don't just chase girls for a quick shag,"

I sigh once I insert the key in the ignition. He's right. I am chasing her. But why? Why does she make me feel different than any other girl I've been with or seen?

...

The following Friday, the boys and I are at our usual bar getting ready to perform a gig. I tweak my symbols trying to get them at the right height. I grunt from frustration when they barely shift.

"Bloody drums," I mutter. I ge the urge to throw them off stage, but I know I can't afford a new set. 

I notice Brian wave and I look across the bar and see Maddie, along side Mary. Maddie looks really good tonight. Not that she hasn't the other times I've seen her, but this is different. 

I quickly hop off the stage and make my way towards the girls.

"Hello Ladies," I greet the two.

"Hi Roger," Maddie says. I find myself lost in her beauty. It's like the other girls in the bar don't exist. Her green eyes are bright and her hair is perfectly - well perfect. I notice she has freckles dotting over her nose. She must not wear a lot of makeup on her face because I've never noticed them before. 

"Hello Roger," I hear Mary say faintly. I turn and smile at her briefly before directing my attention back to Maddie.

"You look nice," I say. I face palm internally. I almost never compliment girls unless in bed, and I especially don't say 'you look nice'. Nice, I think. There are so many other words but I go with nice. 

"Thank you," Maddie replies, her cheeks flushing a little.

I clear my throat a little. "What can I order for you?" I ask, keeping to my promise.

"Hmm," she places a finger to her lips. "Surprise me," she tells me.

I smirk and walk over to the bartender, ordering my favorite kind of beer, hoping she'll like it. I take the glass and walk back over, placing my hand on Maddie's back to get her attention. I come around her front and hand her the drink.

"It's my favorite kind," I tell her. I glance back over at the stage. I need to get back. "I need to run but I'll see you after the show," I give her one last smile before making my way back to the stage, ignoring the looks and calls from the girls around me. They don't mean anything to me right now.