35. Freddie's Thing

Madison

I watch in awe as Brian plays his solo in Freddie's song thing. The boys call it 'Freddie's Thing'. Apparently it's up to me to come up with a name for it. I don't know how I got pinned with this job, but I don't mind. I like watching them do their magic. I wish Mary, Chrissie and Veronica were here with me, but it was decided that it's best they don't come out. Freddie said he would fall too out of the zone. Brian and John agreed. 

"What's next?" Brian asks from where he stands behind the glass. 

Freddie smiles curiously and looks at him, while nodding his head. He leans in to the microphone.

"That was pretty damn good. Brilliant. I love that," he says. 

"Press the button, Freddie," Brian says. 

I watch from the couch with Roger and John as the record producer, Roy, points out this little button near the microphone.

"I know," Freddie says. "I know where it is. I know where," He swats the producers hand away and presses the button. "Knock knock,"

"Good," Brian responds with a laugh. 

"It's good- um- play it like you wrote it,"

"I did. I wrote that part,"

"Yeah taking a piss,"

Brian laughs and then he does another take, changing it ever so slightly. 

"Well?" Brian asks. 

Freddie pauses. "I think it's beautiful...it's almost perfect,"

"Almost?" 

"Yes, give it more rock and roll,"

"I'm always up for that, Fred," 

"Put your body into it,"

"Right okay, put my body into it," Brian says. I look over and see him doing this odd motion. I suppress a laugh and lean further into Roger's side. His arm tightens around my waist. 

"Not like that," Freddie comments. 

"No, I got it this time. Bit more soul, yeah?"

"All right. A bit more heart too, you know," 

"I'll do that. We good to good?" Brian asks. 

"Roy, are we good?" Freddie asks. The curly haired man nods. "Oh, and then there's the operatic section," Freddie says to Brian to warn him, a smile creeping on his face. He abruptly claps his hands together from excitement. "You're going to love it,"

"The operatic section?" Brian asks slowly. 

Freddie shrugs. "I know, it sounds crazy," he says in the microphone.

"I love it Fred, I love it,"

"I don't know. I could be a flop,"

"I love it," Brian repeats, getting as close to the microphone on his guitar as he can. 

Freddie chuckles. "What have we got to lose?"

Brian laughs and shakes his head. "Nothing,"

"If you say so," Freddie jokes. 

"Okay, let's go," Brian urges. 

John begins to roll the tapes again and Brian starts his solo again. I couldn't pin point exactly what he changed, but it sounds absolutely magnificent now. It truly is beautiful. Both him and Freddie are beyond pleased with it so we move on into this so called operatic section.