26. Dinner Date

Madison

It's been about a week since Queen came back to England. It finally feels like home again. Not that it didn't before, but without the boys it felt a little empty. My flat especially felt empty without Roger there. It was a breath of fresh air when he finally came home. 

I loved - and still love - hearing every detail about the American tour. The boys were so thrilled to discuss it, and Roger had a few things he elected to tell me when it was just the two of us. 

Apparently he is very suspicious of Paul Prenter. He said he doesn't his attitude, or his face. Roger also mentioned how Paul favors Freddie over the rest of the band. I told him he's probably just trying to mooch and impress Freddie since Freddie is - well - Freddie. Roger still thinks it's more than that, but I don't know. Nonetheless it's not an excuse for how he treats the other lads. 

"What if he doesn't like her?" Roger asks me, distracting me from my thoughts. The two of us are on our way to Freddie and Mary's where they are hosting dinner for all of us. I asked if I could invite Veronica because I had this brilliant idea. 

Veronica has been lovely to me since we first met, and we've been in touch ever since. She hasn't had the chance to meet anyone yet, but I asked if it was okay that she come to dinner. Freddie was ecstatic and said 'the more the merrier'. 

Of course I want Veronica to meet everyone, but I also wanted to introduce her to John. I had this idea when we first met that she and him would be great together. 

"I don't know," I answer Roger honestly. "I mean if it fails, then we'll still have a new friend. I personally think she's great,"

Roger reaches over with a free hand to grab mine. "Then you're probably right," he tells me with a cheeky smile. "You have great taste,"

I roll my eyes, but remain unable to wipe a smile off my face. I do have good taste, don't I?

We make it to Freddie and Mary's in a couple of minutes. Roger gives me a weak smile as the two of us knock on the door. 

"Darlings!" Freddie greets us. He wears an expensive looking white leather jacket, along with skinny jeans. 

I give him a hug when we enter, before walking into the living room to greet everyone else. I go around giving hugs, and ruffling John's hair when I see him. It's gotten long, and I must say I like it this length.

"This look is a good one on you," I tell John.

"The hair?" he asks.

I nod. "I like it long,"

"I was actually thinking about cutting it..."

I give him a horrified look.

"You've had it long for as long as I've known you," I tell him, plopping down on the couch besides him. Roger stands in the doorway, leaning against the frame. 

"It's so much work to take care of," John complains. 

"Shampoo and conditioner mate," Brian comments, earning a round of looks from the rest of us. "What?" 

I laugh and we all resume small talk. Freddie and Mary venture off to the kitchen together to prepare dinner for us. I have no idea what they are making but it smells lovely. 

A knock on the door interrupts all of our conversations. Brian gets up to get it, Chrissie following closely behind him. 

"Hi," a voice says from behind the door.

"You must be Veronica," Brian says warmly, allowing Veronica to come inside. I stand up to greet her, as she is my friend after all. "I'm Brian,"

"Nice to meet you Brian," Veronica responds. She looks pretty, with her brown hair falling down her back.