21. America

Madison

Mary called me, begging me to come over. I'll admit I'm a little nervous. she refused to tell me why over the phone, but her voice was frantic. 

When I reach her flat, I knock on the door. Well, actually, more like pound on the door. She answers, her eyes wide.

"Hi Maddie," she says, moving so I can come inside. 

Her flat looks intact, so clearly nothing horrible happened here. In fact, Freddie sits on the couch, his arm slung over the back of it. His shirt is off and he wears these old looking pajama pants. 

"I - what's happening?" I stutter, suspicious of everything right now.

"Oh nothing," Mary sings, running a hand through her hair. She touches her face and keeps bringing her hand into sight. For a moment I think she's gone mad but then I see it. I see the ring.

"Mary!" I exclaim, reaching out to grab her hand. On her ring finger is a beautiful diamond ring. "I'm so happy for you. And of course you too Freddie,"

"We wanted you to be the first to know," Freddie says from the couch. 

I stand admiring the ring for quite some time, Mary giggling from excitement. Her grin never fades. 

Eventually we both make our way to the couch. Mary leans into Freddie's side. Both of them look so happy and it makes me so warm.

"Did you know about this?" Mary asks me. Freddie and I share a look. 

"Freddie might have mentioned it..." I tell her. "It took a lot to not blow it might I add. Roger had overheard our conversation and wanted to tell you,"

"What a prick," Freddie mumbles.

"You guys are amazing. I'm so happy," I tell them honestly. I really am.

We spend quite some time talking about their engagement, the phone ringing off the hook while we talk. The conversation shifts to love and somehow we get on the topic of Roger and I. My face reddens, especially after our encounter a couple of days ago. I don't know what came over me that night but it was all Roger talked about the following day. I don't even think I can wear that dress anymore.

"You two moved in pretty quickly. How's that going?" Freddie asks.

I shrug. "I think it's going really well. He was staying over my flat a lot as it was so now having our own official space is nice," I answer. 

"A lot of sex I presume," 

"Freddie!" Mary exclaims, nudging him with her elbow. "You can't just say that,"

My face couldn't possibly get any redder.

"Roger is a sex machine, my love, I was merely making a presumption," 

"We have our nice moments," I squeak. "We went out to dinner the other night. It was a real fancy place too,"

"That's lovely! Maybe if you get engaged we can have double weddings," Mary jokes. 

I laugh, although I don't find it as funny as Mary intended. I don't really see Roger wanting to marry me. I mean we haven't even said I love you to each other. Not that I'm trying to rush it, but I don't even know if he's really in love with me. 

I get sad at the thought. Mary must notice it because she places a hand over mine.

"I think Roger likes me, but I don't think he's at the love stage yet," I tell her. 

"I don't know, Mads," Freddie chimes in. "You have to hear how he talks about you when you're not around. From the moment he met you he's been smitten," Freddie moves forward ever so slightly, a serious look on his face. "If he didn't love you he wouldn't want to live with you. That I know for a fact. Even Brian has said that and they've been friends for years. And Deaky? He sees it too. I would also call him. I think he misses you,"

I love John. I really have been awful with contact.

"I love you guys," I tell them.

Mary leans forward out of Freddie's grip and wraps her arms around my neck.

"You're my best friend," Mary whispers in my ear.

I hug her back. Our sentimental moment is ruined however by three impatient boys barging in.

"Hello Mary, Maddie," John says. I look at them shocked. John sits down next to me, Roger coming over to me and giving me a kiss before going to riffle through the cabinets with the glassware in them. Brian sits down in a chair across from us.

"Hi Maddie," he says. "Hi Mary, how's your dad?"

"Fine, actually," Mary replies with an awkward smile.

"Guys this really isn't a good time," Freddie says. Roger comes back with his hands full of champagne glasses. It takes me a second to realize Brian holds a bottle. 

"We wouldn't have to barge in if you'd answer your phone," John says. 

Brian leans forward in his seat. "John Reid called," he says. The room is quiet while we wait for his announcement. "He's booked us a tour of America,"

"What?" Freddie asks in disbelief. My mind doesn't seem to process it either.

"The albums hit the charts in America! We didn't know they got that much recognition," Roger says, a grin playing on his lips. 

The room goes silents again, smiles wide on all our faces.

"Yes," Freddie whispers. "Yes!" 

He stands up, the boys forming this big group hug. I lean into Mary, both of us grinning from ear to ear and our arms entwined. Brian pops open the bottle of champagne and fills up the glasses Roger holds. He passes them out, and when Roger has two glasses left he hands one to me and keeps the other. 

I stand up, Mary doing likewise. MY arms immediately go around Roger's neck, spilling some of the champagne. I hug him as tight as I can.

On one hand I am so happy for him and the boys. A tour of America is huge. But on the other hand, I'm sad to see them leave. I won't see them for who knows how long. I fear Roger will forget about me, but I push those thoughts aside and try to focus not he happy. 

The boys are touring in America.