4

Roger

I'll admit I was pissed when Tim left. Pissed. I thought that we were doing well. I mean gigs are a start to something more, and I know it wasn't some world tour, but hey it's something. Something is always better than nothing. Plus we have a fan group. We aren't those twinks who think they're good when in actuality they aren't. 

My rage still hadn't died down during our first gig with Freddie and John. I'll admit they're good, really good in fact, but my nipple was still twisted over the fact Tim left. I don't like people leaving and he did the one thing I was afraid of. He fucking left.

"You alright?" Brian asks me as I load the van with our equipment.

I nod. "Yeah, you?" I retort.

"I'm fine. Better than fine actually,"

Of course Brian is.

"John!" I hear a female yell. Brian and I hop out of the van to see a girl running towards our bassist. She throws her arms around him and whispers something in his ear. They let go.

"Your friend did great," Freddie says, walking towards John and the girl. So this must be the girl that recommended John to us, as well as encourage Freddie to come talk to us about performing.

"As did you," she says. Freddie gives her a hug as well.

Freddie and John turn towards Brian and I.

"Maddie, this is Brian," John says. Brian and Maddie shake hands. "And this is Roger," I outstretch my hand to her and smile. She's prettier than any girl I've ever seen. Her green eyes sparkle in the street lights and her redish brown hair falls down her back in waves. I find myself staring but I let go of her hand quickly, snapping out of my trance. 

"You're the one that recommended John to Freddie I'm assuming," Brian says to Maddie.

"I am," she says. She smiles. How is it possible for a girl to be this attractive? "We've been friends for a little while and I thought he'd be the perfect fit,"

"Well you were right," Brian grins. "You know, we were a little down after Tim left but I feel pretty confident with these two," he gestures towards Freddie and John.

"I have a feeling you guys are going to do great things. Call it a hunch but I cant help it,"

"We thought we would do great things with bloody Tim but look how that turned out," I snap, my rage about Tim leaving making me forget about the gorgeous girl in front of me. 

"Ignore him," Brian says quietly to Maddie. 

"Tim leaving might have been the best thing to have happened to you," Maddie says, looking directly at me and completely ignoring Brian.

"How can you be so sure?" I ask.

"How can you not?"

We stare at each other for a little while. I study her face and she doesn't let down or break eye contact. No girl has ever hit me with a back handed comment like that. I don't know how to react, both with her response and how attracted I am to her. 

"You know, we're having a party tomorrow night at mine and Rogers place," Brian says, breaking up our stare off. "You're more than welcome to come,"

"I'd love to," Maddie says.

...

"Fred, would you mind telling Brian I'm off?" I ask him, my hand on the back of some short brunette girl. I think her name is Crystal but I'm not sure. 

"Where do you think you're going?" he asks me.

I cock my head towards Crystal. "Where do you think?"

"Roger, darling, this is your party. You can't leave," Freddie says, walking into the kitchen area. I roll my eyes and tell the girl I'll be back in a second before following him. "Don't fuck with me Freddie,"

I barely notice Freddie walk up to a couple of people. My eyes bore into his back, the only thing on my mind being the girl I am determined to shag.

"Brian, could you tell Freddie he can't force me to stay?" I say, turning to face the tall man. Maybe he'll have some sense.

Brian turns to me, clearly annoyed. "Where are you planning on going exactly?" he asks.

"Out," I snap.

"Rog, live a little," Freddie tells me, walking back over in my direction. "This party is for us. Plus it's hosted at your own house,"

"No offense, but I could be doing better things on my Saturday nights," I argue. "I could give you their names," It's true. I know countless girls who are dying to sleep with me. I could be doing any one of them right now instead of lurking around the house.

"You know we do have company right?" Brian say, cocking his head towards John and..Maddie.

It's as if the world had stopped and she was the only one I noticed. Suddenly, I had a new prize. The alcohol burns inside of me and makes my inner thoughts come to the surface. 

"Oh I don't mean to be rude," I say, walking over. I give John an awkward hug and then give Maddie a small one as well. She smells good. Like perfume and the faintest smell of smoke. I didn't know she smoked.

"Say Maddie," I say, unable to contain myself. She looks amazing, in a navy jumpsuit and large earrings. I stand inches away from her. "What are you doing after this?"

"Not you," Maddie is quick to answer.

Ouch. I've never been rejected and I'm not quite sure how to respond. I mean she didn't even let me speak either. How is it that the one I want most doesn't want me back? I mean I don't even know her but she sure as hell is the prettiest girl I've ever seen. I just feel, I don't know, weird around her. It's the only way I can describe it. I've never had this feeling but I know I need to follow up with it.

Freddie clears his throat and walks over to Maddie, putting a hand on her back. I look at him

"C'mon darling, I have someone I want you to meet," he says, pulling Maddie away from us and guiding her out of the room.

"What the hell Rog?" Brian hisses at me as soon as they leave.

"She's pretty," I defend myself.

"She's off limits," John tells me. "She's too good for you, Rog,"

I roll my eyes.

"Why don't you go back to that girl you were all over when I saw you last," Brian tells me. He doesn't sound mad, he just sounds exacerbated.

I had completely forgot about her, to be honest. But I do as Brian suggests and leave, finding the girl in the same position I left her in. I throw my arm around her shoulders, her putting her arm around my waist.

We walk around a little before we find our way outside. As much as I hate to admit it, the lads are right- I really shouldn't leave. I stop and turn to face Crystal, about to tell her maybe another time but she throws herself at me, practically shoving her tongue down my throat. I'll admit, I give in a little, but then I see her out of the corner of my eye and I push the brunette off of me. She looks annoyed, but leaves both her hands on my chest as if to claim her territory.

"Maddie I-" I go to say but Maddie shakes her head.

"I'm sorry, I was just looking for John," she says softly. She looks just as surprised as I am.

I pull away completely from the girl, not really caring about her once I see Maddie. I go to walk towards her, to say something - anything - but she turns back and disappears in the house.

"Roger, let's go back to my place," the brunette coos.

I cringe internally. I don't want her. I want Maddie. And I want this feeling to go away.

"Not tonight, babe," I say. "Not ever,"

I walk into the house, not looking back at the first girl I've ever rejected,  to grab a beer and drown out my thoughts.