14

Madison

The weeks the boys were gone felt long and empty. I love Mary, and we definitely have fun every time we hang out. But we both agree that the boys are our missing links and that it's not quite the same without them.

Sure, they phone whenever they can, but it's not the same as them being here. I miss Roger's touch and the feeling it gives me. It's like something inside of me comes alive.

To think when we first met I thought he was a complete and utter tool.

I mean, I suppose he was. I think it was his attempt to smooth things over with me that won me over. He clearly didn't have to and that gesture meant he at least cared. 

There's still this nagging feeling I get occasionally about him wanting to date another girl. His persistence with me is what made me really believe that he genuinely wants to date me, and only me. But I still get this feeling I'm not good enough or that he'll move on.

Part of that feeling is new with him being away, and I don't like it, but I'm excited for him and the other lads to finally come home. Mary and I are surprising them at their last show tonight, which is about an hour away.

"So they don't know we're coming right?" Mary asks me to double check.

I shake my head. "I haven't said anything," I say.

Mary currently is driving both of us to the venue where they are performing. It's a small concert space, located in a club. It was a bitch to reserve a spot for us, but we explained over the phone that we are friends with the band and are surprising them. It wasn't easy, but eventually we made our way onto the list. 

"I'm rather nervous," Mary tells me. "I don't know why,"

"Well we haven't seen them in ages," I reply.

We make it to the venue and Mary parks just outside. We find our way in and receive bracelets at the front door, our names being checked off a list.

"It's so crowded we can barely get to the front," Mary says.

I frown. She's right. We can barely move closer to the stage from where we are. I knew it was sold out, but this is like extra sold out. 

"Let's try a little more," I say, shouting over all the people talking.

We push our way through and make it just halfway from the exit and stage. It's not the best, but certainly not the worst place to be.

It seems like we are surrounded by girls. A particular brunette, whom I remember Roger snogging one of the first times we've met, is here with a couple friends it looks like. They stand close to Mary and I - close enough for me to hear their conversation over the loads of other people. 

"Brian's cute!" One of them shouts. She's blonde and has on extremely high heels.

"I'm more of a Roger fan myself!" The brunette says.

"Oh please have you seen Freddie?" A ginger girl adds. "He's gorgeous,"

I hear Mary giggling next to me, probably from overhearing their conversation.

Just then the band comes on stage. I'm filled with that familiar joy I get when I see them.

"Alright, Alright!" Freddie says into the microphone. "How are you darlings doing tonight?" His words are followed by a slew of cheers. "We have a grand selection coming up for you from our very first album. This first one is a little lady called Keep Yourself Alive!"

And just like that the music begins and I find myself lost in their playing. They're fantastic as always. Mary and I sing along as loud as we can, obviously knowing all the songs from hearing them over and over.

By the end of the show my ears are ringing and my body is warm from excitement. I love the rush and the thrill of concerts, and it never ceases to amaze me how talented these boys are.

Mary and I wait a little for the people to clear out so we don't have to fight them on our way to the back door.

"That was amazing," Mary tells me as we progress to the large silver door.

"I wish we got to see every concert of theirs," I tell her. Of course it would be lovely to see them play all the time it wouldn't be practical. Not right now anyways, while I'm working and trying to enroll back in school. But the dream would be to see them perform all the time.

Mary pushes open the door, and we're greeted by Brian, John, and Freddie.

"Darlings!" Freddie yells, running over to us with a huge grin on his face. He hugs me first and then embraces Mary. I walk towards Brian and John so that they can have their moment.

"We didn't know you'd be coming!" John says, smiling as he hugs me.

"We thought I would be a nice surprise for your last show. We had to at least come to one of course," I tell him. I turn and give Brian a hug as well.

"We've missed you," Brian says.

"I've missed you as well," I reply.

"Roger went to the toilets," John tells me. "You could surprise him inside if you fancy. Catch him off guard,"

"I think I will," I tell him. "I'll be back in a hurry,"

I quickly walk back inside, eager to catch Roger off guard. As my eyes search around the large space for the loo, I spot him. But it's not just him. It's him with his lips planted on that brunette girl.