7

Madison

The boys are amazing. By the end of the show, Mary and I are a couple drinks in and singing along and dancing to the songs like fools. I wouldn't say I'm drunk, but I am definitely tipsy. I will admit I may or may not have chugged my drinks a little quicker than I should.

"I love it. The rush, the thrill!" Mary exclaims as we make our way out back to meet the boys.

We push open the metal door that leads to the outside and see the boys loading the van.

"There they are!" Freddie exclaims. He comes over to us, giving Mary and I each a hug. His hand, however, finds its way to Mary's waist and stays there. I notice him whispering in Mary's ear. Cute, I think.

"How was it?" Brian asks, loading his guitar in the van. He smiles at me warmly.

"Amazing," I say. "There's something special with you guys. Plus you somehow got Deaky to perform which is amazing in itself," I laugh. 

John's face turns a couple shades of red darker. I raise my eyebrows at him in an amused expression.

"What?" he asks. "I'm shy..."

"John you play the bass better than anyone we know. Own it," Roger says. He throws a box into the van. 

Mary taps me on the shoulder and pulls us away from the boys.

"Maddie, would you mind if I go home with Freddie? He wants to come over my flat but I don't want to desert you," she asks me in a whisper. Her eyes are wide with nerves and excitement.

"Mary I'll be fine. Just promise to call me and tell me how it goes," I tell her, grinning.

She nods. "Of course I will,"

I give her a hug, her squeezing me back. Then we rejoin with the lads, Freddie taking Mary's hand.

"I think we ought to be heading out," Freddie says, looking at Mary and then back at the boys. They exchange goodbyes before walking off to Mary's.

"I should head home too, it's getting late," I announce. It's also cold and I just want to be in bed right now. The alcohol is starting to wear off. 

"Do you want a ride?" Brian asks me. He folds his arms across his chest.

I shake my head. "No, that's okay. I'm not too far. Thank you though," I say, smiling at him and the others. "Keep in touch. And Deaky, you're doing amazing sweetie,"

I laugh to myself as I turn from the boys, making my way home. I pull a cigarette from my pocket and light it, taking a drag when Roger jogs to my side.

"Don't say anything," He tells me, sensing that I was about to question him. "I'm walking you home,"

I don't oppose, but rather I pull out my carton of cigarettes and offer him one. He takes one, and lights it with my lighter.

"I didn't know you smoke," he tells me, taking a puff.

I shrug. "I do occasionally. It's starting to become a habit,"

We walk in silence for a couple of minutes, each finishing our cigarettes. A group of people passes us. It looks like two girls and three guys.

"Hey Rog, who's the lucky lady?" one of the men who passes says, winking over at us. I've seen more winks tonight than I want to.

"Oh piss off Liam," Roger says, slightly annoyed. His tone changed dramatically from how he was just speaking with me. 

Liam snickers and the couple girls in the group smile and wave at Roger.

"Hi Roger," one of the girls says. She has bright blonde hair and a low cut shirt on.

"Tiffany," Roger mutters, barely looking at her.

"Don't even try Tif, he has a new one," the other boy in that group tells her as we pass.

"Oh fuck off," I say loudly, so they can hear. I am not sleeping with Roger, if that's what they are insinuating. 

I hear the girls gasp. "A feisty one," one of the boys say. I stop and go to turn around to confront them, but Roger places his hand on my lower back and guides me along.

"Come on, love," he mutters.

"I'm not an object," I seethe. I don't like being referred to as a 'new one' or a 'feisty one'.

"They're just playing," Roger says, trying to comfort me but it doesn't work. 

We walk further, an awkward silence engulfing us as we finally reach my place. I'm grateful the walk isn't too bad. I could have driven, but I didn't want to drink and drive, even the short distance. 

Roger follows me as I walk all the way to my front door. I shift on the balls of my feet outside. "Thanks for walking me," I tell him softly.

"Yeah, of course," he says gently. This is a completely different Roger than the one I talked to at the party. 

His blue eyes shine even in the dark, I notice. I find myself more and more attracted to him every time I look at him.

"I should go," Roger says, knocking me out of my thoughts. "Can I...call you sometime?" he asks slowly.

"Sure," I tell him, smiling softly. "Freddie has my number. You can get it from him,"

"Okay," he says with a smile.

"Do you know how to get home from here?" 

Roger looks around and shrugs. "I can figure it out. It's not that hard to navigate,"

He pushes a piece of hair behind my ear. 

"I'll talk to you," he says, before I watch him walk away and into the darkness.